• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to disable the engine so that it will not start when cranked?

lordoeuf

NAXJA Forum User
Could someone let me know how to disable the engine so that it will not start when cranked? I've seen this instruction repeated from multiple sources when it comes to replacing the steering gear box and priming the system with new PS fluid. My guess is that there is a relay or fuse I need to pull from the power distribution centre (PDC), but which is it?

The PDC cover lists: 56038363AB

FUEL PUMP
STARTER
ASD
COOLING FAN

ABS LIGHT
FOG (DRL ONLY)
FOG LAMP
A/C CLUTCH

HDLP SW (30A)
BLOWER (40A)
COOLING FAN (40A)
BATTERY ACC (50A)
IGN RUN/START (40A)
IGN ACC/RUN (40A)
ABS SOL (20A)
ABS MOTOR (40A)
HBL (30A)
STARTER (20A)
A/C CLUTCH (20A)

If I were to guess, either pull IGN RUN/START (40A) or IGN ACC/RUN (40A). Maybe ASD? I'm not sure what HDLP stands for.

Thanks!

When you are done doing whatever it is you are doing you might get a CEL.
In my '00 I did pull the ASD to do a compression test.
When I put everything back together I got a P1389.
If that is the case don't freak out. Just clear it. LOL.

Why not just unplug the coil?

I always just pull the fuel pump relay so as to not wash the cylinders down with fuel.

Thanks guys!

Will pulling the ASD relay spit out a Check Engine Light that stays on until reset? Or will the CEL go away once the relay is put back?

Unfortunately, my OBDII meter is under the back seat of my Jeep and there are 3 car seats tightly secured over the back seat. I'm guessing that nobody else here has tried to put 3 car seats in a Jeep Cherokee before, so let me tell you, it is hell getting these in there properly. Pulling the seats and putting them back is about a 30 minute process and I get drenched in sweat. It is so bad that, even though my D-rings are under there as well, I opted to buy more to avoid this procedure. The width of the Cherokee's back seat is tiny, so I had to find these elaborate Swedish car seats that are extra thin in width but use this convoluted manner to secure them with the shoulder belt.

Thanks. What about pulling the FUEL PUMP relay? Does the Check Engine Light clear out once the relay is put back in? Or do I have to pull apart my car seats to get to my OBDII meter?

Disconnecting the battery should clear your codes.

I hear you on the PITA that are child car seats. We did 3 of those too. I could see where that was going when #3 was on the way, so we bought a Suburban. I am sure that both of our backs are far better off for it.

Back