• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM swing away tire carrier owners, I need some information

ijeeep

NAXJA Forum User
So I have an OEM swing away tire carrier correct for my '95 daily driver.
Before I go poking holes in things I'd like to know where to poke said holes. Yah I can SWAG it but I'd rather measure twice and cut once.

If you have a factory swing out carrier and can take some measurements for me I'd much obliged.

You are going to need the backing plates also. The sheet metal on it's own isn't strong enough.

Xjs could come with a factory swing away spare tire carrier?

Yup.

jeep1.jpg

You are going to need the backing plates also. The sheet metal on it's own isn't strong enough.

I have the external parts. The internal reinforcements are easy enough to fab up.

I can figure out the position of the holes pretty close but I'd rather know for certain.

91 and later.
800px-Jeep_Cherokee_XJ_002.JPG

The last iteration from the 1999 I think. Super super rare piece.
42940d1301486634t-brand-new-oem-jeep-cherokee-swingout-spare-tire-carrier-image-3124727376.jpg

The factory also briefly offered a roof mounted spare tire carrier. I've only seen pictures of it once. It wasreal deal NOS complete with packaging and Mopar sticky labels intact.

Eww. Not my cup of tea, ill keep my inside mounted spare. I can see where it would be handy for people who don't have to open their hatch 20-30 times a day. I have never seen any if those in real life though, must not have been a very common box ticked off on the order form!

Yeah, agreed. Full size in the cargo works well enough. If I needed the space I'd definitely roof mount. Never put anything up there otherwise anyway.

Eww. Not my cup of tea, ill keep my inside mounted spare. I can see where it would be handy for people who don't have to open their hatch 20-30 times a day. I have never seen any if those in real life though, must not have been a very common box ticked off on the order form!

Not everybody wanted. Not all who did were willing to pay, they were crazy expensive.

Wait, where is that picture of the teal jeep from? Its right hand drive like mine, so obviously overseas, but ive never seen tail lights like that, mine are the same as regular xjs.

Back