• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 to 8.25 question

Volatile

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I wasn’t sure if this should be in modified or OEM so please move if I’m wrong!

I’m picking up an 8.25 out of a 2000 XJ tomorrow to replace the D35 in my 91 since my goal is to run 35s eventually and not worry so much. I’ve done a lot of google and YouTube searching, but I can’t seem to find a definitive answer to one question: will my existing driveshaft work? I’m currently running an NP242, with 4.5” of lift, no SYE or tcase drop since I never had any vibrations after my lift. I remember reading somewhere that with a certain minimum amount of lift, my existing driveshaft will work. Is there any truth to that?

Thanks!

No, I dont think it will, wish you were closer though, I would love to have an extra d35. I put in the 8.25 out of my parts 01 while I was rebuilding my d35 in my stock 95 with a 242. It made the stock shaft too long, had to build some suspension travel limiting blocks to keep the slip yoke from hammering the case. It was a rough ride for awhile! And before you ask, yes I am crazy but I keep my d35 because its factory limited slip and its the easiest way to keep the abs functional. No lift or big tires for me, d35 is plenty strong for anything 90% of xjs are actually doing.

Back