• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air intake swap

philskents

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all.

Looking at swapping my stock air box for something a little better than the OEN and was hoping to get some recommendations. It’s a daily driver so it cannot be too aggressive, apart from that I am all ears.

Define "better" ? There are some cold air intake kits, but they are of little benefit compared to the cost. The Jeep 4.0L is old school, and responds best to basic hot-rodding, free flow exhaust, high flow cat, headers, and port matching/smoothing.

I got "aggressive" with my air box, I took a hole saw to it! Several strategically placed holes to get more cold air in and a divider in my grill to direct air!

I forgot that I also drilled holes behind the headlight.
20170707_1528551_zpsokvqpoap.jpg

Just keep it stock. Toss in a K&N but otherwise it's a pretty fruitless upgrade.....

"Cold air intake" is a oxymoron considering every kit I've seen still draws air from the same place. K+N's and others do increase flow at the sacrifice of filter efficiency!

I got a legit 16 wheel horsepower gain on the dyno with the aFe intake

Toss in a K&N but otherwise it's a pretty fruitless upgrade.....

No no no.

K&N's are crap.

If you want something different, get a real filter like AEM or the like.

K&N is for people who want to say they have a K&N, but don't know much really about them.

If the intake Cal mentioned weren't $$$$, I'd say go that way.

In reality, the stock airbox is more than adequate. Most cold air intakes do nothing but create more noise. The main reason to run one would really be relocation.

No no no.

K&N's are crap.

K&N is for people who want to say they have a K&N, but don't know much really about them.

In reality, the stock airbox is more than adequate. Most cold air intakes do nothing but create more noise. The main reason to run one would really be relocation.

I 100%agree. I have a k and n intake but the filter was long ago switched to an afe dry flow that filters way better than the crap and n. K and n flows good because they only keep out birds and boulders.

No no no.

K&N's are crap.

Not saying K&N exactly just a "performance" filter. Tissue Kleenex type thought.

Back