• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Borla

LiquidOps

NAXJA Forum User
Year: 1987-92
Make: JEEP
Vehicle: CHEROKEE
Model: 4.0L

model# 14200 T-304 STAINLESS STEEL

What ya think?
Experience?

and does this tip really look good on an XJ or should I consider a diff tip?

tip.ssqacic.jpg

IMHO spending that kinda money on a cat back is awaste. you can have a local shop do a great job much cheaper and if you want you can order those tips witch is all up to you if you want one. do they look cool yes do they look cool after being beaten by rocks no. heres a great alternative part #289-17463(is listed under dodge) from what Ive seen it sounds good and gives just as much power. Trust me I like borla alot infact right now its the oly header I recomend for jeeps but i just seen these cat backs just take to much abuse or even iif you don't wheel its money you can buy other goodies for the jeep.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1272&prmenbr=361

Borla is a great way to go for the header. But their construction is to light for the catback.

My Jeep mech (#1 Borla dealer for the area) had one on his (TJ?) and said it bent if you got it n-e-a-r rocks. It's the only header he'll sell you for your XJ, but he recommends Flowmaster exhaust for trail rigs.

bburge
Borla header, Flowmaster exhaust...

bburge said:
Borla is a great way to go for the header. But their construction is to light for the catback.

My Jeep mech (#1 Borla dealer for the area) had one on his (TJ?) and said it bent if you got it n-e-a-r rocks. It's the only header he'll sell you for your XJ, but he recommends Flowmaster exhaust for trail rigs.

bburge
Borla header, Flowmaster exhaust...

got a model # or link to the Flowmaster system that I would need for my 92 XJ HO??

Glasspacks are the way to go. at bout $30 a peace.... cant beat that

I'm also sitting here thinking that if I were to get that Borla exh, I'd have to come up with some kind of muffler-exhaust pipe skidplate system........

Pretty much the only way to get a flowmaster kit is to have a local shop do a system for you using the flow master. they are very tough and take a beeting. IIRC most shopsare about 160 bucks for a flow master cat back depending on what flow master you pick.

REDXJ4FUN said:
Pretty much the only way to get a flowmaster kit is to have a local shop do a system for you using the flow master. they are very tough and take a beeting. IIRC most shopsare about 160 bucks for a flow master cat back depending on what flow master you pick.

on that note... what flowmaster should I go with??

Series?

Chamber?

inlet outlet??

I run a Flowmaster 50 series with Dynomax tailpipe. I used to run a Dynomax Super Turbo. It sounded pretty good, but not quite loud enough. A lot of people are impressed with how "muscular" my jeep sounds, so there's my recommendation....

BORLA

I just got my 50 series Flowmaster from Rusty's, I'll probably install it this week. The pipe over the axle is mandrel bent, which is a lot nicer than the "crush-bent" job that you are going to get at an exhaust shop ;) ....It will also flow better!
Flowmasters are thick-cased and have no fiberglass that can burn-out. I've had on on my 93 GMC for nearly 3 yrs now and it still sounds the same as when I installed it :D . I live in Michigan (Rustbelt) and exhaust shops do a lot of biz here in replacing rusted-out exhausts, but if your Jeep is a DD....there is no reason that a Flowmaster wont last 5 yrs (in the Rustbelt) ;) it is sitting around in unused in a moist climate that makes them rust out!

BLUTO :)

PS
It looks like a very easy installation, the hangers are already welded on the tailpipe. He gives you some U-bolt "crushclamps" so you don't need a MIG welder to install.

Keep me posted and let me know how the install goes if you would.

I do like Flowmaster. I've ran dual Flowmasters on my 70' Stang, since nearly day one...

man I love that sound :)

I have had the Rusty's Flowmaster, the install takes about an 1hr. I did weld the tail pipe to the muffler and to the rear hanger. The hard part was getting the old system off. Big hammer to bang it loose from the cat. converter.
I have the Borla system now. I also have a hi flow cat. I did both at the sametime. Only hard part to that was getting at the last bolt on the cat flange by the crossmember. But it all came out pretty easy. One thing if you do get the Borla. The tail pipe sucks. It has a Z bend in it by the rear leaf spring hanger. I just chopped it off right at the shackle bolt. Does it cost more, yes. Will it rust out, don't know yet. will it last better, don't know yet. But I got a great deal on it from a dealer on close out. That might explain the tail pipe Z thing. If I did it over again. Rusty's Flowmaster. Cheap, sounds great, easy install and makes some power. Juice

BORLA?

LiquidOps said:
Keep me posted and let me know how the install goes if you would.

I do like Flowmaster. I've ran dual Flowmasters on my 70' Stang, since nearly day one...

man I love that sound :)

No problem :) I'm going to do my gas tank skidplate, trailer hitch and exhaust at the same time (soon as the Herculiner dries) this week. You get your choice of Chromed "turned-down" or SS angle-cut tips, I went angle-cut ;) . I'll shoot some pics, but I can't post them (Forum Rules) I think it's because I'm not a membet yet? I need to get off my busy ass and print & send that membership form in :eek: !
Send me your address and I'll beam a few over when I'm done!

Hey LiquidOps,

Nice Jeep! Where in OC you at?

Re: BORLA?

BLUTO said:
No problem :) I'm going to do my gas tank skidplate, trailer hitch and exhaust at the same time (soon as the Herculiner dries) this week. You get your choice of Chromed "turned-down" or SS angle-cut tips, I went angle-cut ;) . I'll shoot some pics, but I can't post them (Forum Rules) I think it's because I'm not a membet yet? I need to get off my busy ass and print & send that membership form in :eek: !
Send me your address and I'll beam a few over when I'm done!

[email protected]

- xJohnnyc -

BP

Gibson.

I love the sound of my Gibson, and the torque is great. The can is a bit on the large size, sacrificing a bit of clearance, but its tough as nails and has taken a beating. When this dies, if it dies, I will go with a Borla header and a Flowmaster pipe from a pipe shop.

Back