• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 XJ starting issue

MIKE.94XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have replaced battery,battery cables,starter,crank sensor,stator,cap,rotor and fuel filter. Checked fuel pressure has 30 psi at idle.Will turn over fine then it act's like the battery is losing it cranking power.Checked the timing with with a timing light and it is showing 12 degree advanced,when i put on TDC and pull the cap off the rotor is pointing in between#1and#5. ANY SUGGESTION'S WOULD BE NICE

Fuel, air and spark, find out which is missing. If they are even close something is going to happen, it may not start but will pop and try to start.
Check your spark and then try starting it with about 1/8 th to 1/4 accelerator pedal. If the IAC sticks shut it may not be getting enough air to start.
I had the IAC jam shut on my 96, it created so much vacuum the motor would barley crank. Pushing the throttle pedal all they way to the floor will shut down the injectors.
Might also want to check how much air is coming out of the exhaust during cranking.

A bit of history might help. Was it starting before you replaced all that stuff or did you replace because of a starting problem? The fact that you were checking timing and distributor indexing suggests you replaced the timing chain or otherwise had the motor partially disassembled?

It started before i replaced all of the following items and it will still start. I have not changed the timing chain, motor has not been apart. I started replacing parts to try and elimante my problem. When you go to start it,it will turn over fine then after a few revolutions of the motor it acts like the battery is dying, but if you stop and crank it again it will eventually start. All NEW PARTS BATTERY,BATTERY CABLES,GROUND CABLES,CAP,ROTOR,STATOR,CRANK SENSOR,FUEL FILTER,CLEANED THE IAC and THROTTLE BODY.When i turn the motor to TDC the rotor was pointing in between #1 and #5 spark plug wire on the cap. I would like it to start without it sounding like it is DYING.

Back