• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got a squeek

Apostle

NAXJA Forum User
so have this squeek comming from the drivers tire. its not constant, but every time there is a rotation it happens. had someone turn the wheel at a stop and it sounds like it is comming from what i guess is the knuckle.

ya know -<>[]

Thats the axle connected to the tire (bad pic i know)

the bottom part of > that one is what it sounds like it is comming from, there is a joint with a castle nut on it

no grease fitting, but the top one does have a fitting.

how hard is it to replace that? if that is in fact where the noise is comming from (and what is that, so i know for future referance)

Ball joints? Not hard if you know what your doing. But I don't think that would be the culprit if you say its rotational. Sounds like either the brakes are rubbing something or you have a bad unit bearing.

Sounds a lot like a dry ujoint, not a ball joint.

would a ujoint squeek only at certain spots of the rotation? its pretty spot on as when it starts and stops.

thanks Frank, will keep that in mind if it needs changing

also, how long can i drive with it if it is hte ujoint?

Last edited:
how long can i drive it like this? (will it last till saturday?)

and should i do both, or just worry about the one squeeking?

It will last until Saturday if you don't drive it. :twak:

You run the risk of ruining the axle if you keep driving.

Commonly known as 297 or 260 series ujoints depending on year, with or without ABS and so on. And there will be parts monkeys that will argue the point.

did more reading, found one that turned out to be hub bearings.

is there a way i can check these (prefer checking both) before i tear into it?
Correct me if i am wrong:
ujoint - big screwdriver and see if i can move it around. did, no movement
hub bearing - jack it up and see if tire moves by grabbing top and bottom and trying to move it.

pulled the wheel and moved it around. no play in it at all. did turn it though, the squeek is a rubberized sound, not a metal on metal squeek. and sounds like it is comming from inside the hub. going to replace the hub bearing this weekend, driving it until then. see what happens

Better yet, lift the front end off the ground and turn the wheels all the way in one direction. Rotate the tires. A binding ujoint will try to straighten the wheels as it rolls through the bad spot. There's often a nice patch of orange around a failing ujoint as well.

so have this squeek comming from the drivers tire. its not constant, but every time there is a rotation it happens. had someone turn the wheel at a stop and it sounds like it is comming from what i guess is the knuckle.

ya know -<>[]

Thats the axle connected to the tire (bad pic i know)

the bottom part of > that one is what it sounds like it is comming from, there is a joint with a castle nut on it

no grease fitting, but the top one does have a fitting.

how hard is it to replace that? if that is in fact where the noise is comming from (and what is that, so i know for future referance)
yeah I got a squeek coming fromthe passenger side of the cab.... oh wait.... that's my ol'lady:shhh:

Back