• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heating and Cooling woes

bigalpha

Actually -- it's just heating.

Last year we had the gas regulator replaced because the unit stopped blowing hot air.

We've been using the heat for about a month now and it's been plenty hot until today; it's blowing cold again.

To avoid spending $60 on a service charge just to get someone to look at it, where's teh first place I start troubleshooting from?

Info:

- Rheem URKA-A024JK06E
- Fan is blowing
- Exhaust on the unit is cold
- When the t-stat is set to 'HEAT' the LED on the circuit board will blink in groups of 3, over and over
- When the t-stat is set to 'OFF', the blower stops but it sounds like the flame on a gas grill. It's not very loud and I don't feel any heat.
- There is a very loud click when the t-stat is switched from HEAT to OFF; which I'm pretty sure is the regulator cycling

Is it possible it's not getting ignition and what I'm hearing is just the rest of the gas pressure in the line escaping? When it lights, will it be obvious when I am looking at the little combustion chambers?

The things you can figure out when talking to yourself, amazing right?

That was a pretty amazing self-solving internal-conversation-via-Internet-Posting you had going there!! 86% of the posts in this thread were by the OP!! :laugh:

But I'm glad you found the solution... and it was probably cheaper than that $60 service call you were trying to avoid!

Oh yeah, I was trying hard to not have to call the HVAC peeps. I hope the heat holds out, lol.

I hope it was a valid fix and you didn't just disconnect the gas line and plug it into a bbq grill in the cellar.... :D :D :D :D

I hope it was a valid fix and you didn't just disconnect the gas line and plug it into a bbq grill in the cellar.... :D :D :D :D

WEll he is from Tennessee...

My furnace is 54 years old and reliable as hell! The most annoying part is vacuuming it out every year before it starts getting cold.

Figures .. the heat went out again.

1. Turned off heat
2. Let it set for a while
2a. LED light was blinking 3 times
3. Unplugged the connector that houses the wires for the switches (overlimit switches)
4. Plugged back in
4a. LED went off; no blinking
5. Ignitor clicked a few times, then the LED started blinking 3 times again

Still have the same symptoms from above.

Anybody know if the upper limit switch is something that I can buy without an HVAC license?

Back