• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 2wd to 4wd mainshaft swap

matt4wheels

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone changed a 2wd AX15 from a 2wd configuration into a 4wd? I have a 2wd 1992 4.0 comanche 5spd. I don't know if it is possible to remove the 2wd tail-housing, disassemble the whole tranny and reassemble it with a 4wd mainshaft. Is the case any differn't after you take off the 2wd tail housing?

It should not be - just the tailcone/transfer case adapter, and the length of the mainshaft should be different. It's fairly common to make a transmission that can "go either way" using the same core case, and then just swapping the mainshaft and tailcone on assembly...

5-90

Everything forward of the intermediate plate is the same. Keep in mind that swapping the mainshaft is rather involved and it's actually not much more work to go a little deeper and do a rebuilt by replacing all the synchros and bearings. Of course at that point you might as well find a 4wd version of the tranny and rebuild that instead of messing with swapping mainshafts.

I'm still staring at the FSM, trying to figure out if the tailcone replaces the adapter housing or whether it bolts to it.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to buy a remanufactured 4wd AX15 off of ebay. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a easier/cheaper route by reworking my existing tranny.

lawsoncl said:
Everything forward of the intermediate plate is the same. Keep in mind that swapping the mainshaft is rather involved and it's actually not much more work to go a little deeper and do a rebuilt by replacing all the synchros and bearings. Of course at that point you might as well find a 4wd version of the tranny and rebuild that instead of messing with swapping mainshafts.

I'm still staring at the FSM, trying to figure out if the tailcone replaces the adapter housing or whether it bolts to it.

Usually, it does. The transfer case adapter and tailcone should have the same screw pattern WRT the rear of the transmission case, so it's generally a straight swap. It's just the mainshaft that gets buggardly...

5-90

Back