• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please help - which NP231 for '95 AX15??

Thetastycat

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all - I am SO confused. I've done a ton of research and have found so much conflicting information. I have a 95 XJ AX15 4x4 with a blown transfer case. I'm looking for another np231 - this Novak chart seems to indicate that a post-90 AW4 np231 would also be 23-spline but would have a medium input instead of the short like my 95 would have:

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np-nvg-input-gears/

I've also read that weird stuff happened right around 95, so I have no idea what to believe. I found a 2000 XJ np231 nearby for $75, presumably from an auto - could I change my existing input shaft into it if it's not too screwed up when I get it out?

Thanks a lot - I'm really stuck here!!

Are we assuming no previous owner or repair shop has installed a different or earlier/later model year transmission + transfer case combination ? The round silver stamped ID disk on the t-case gives the manufacture date.

The NOVAK chart tells me that you should have a short input 23 spline 231 and all 1990-2001 AW-4 231's will have a medium input and 23 spline.

A quick compatibility search on www.car-part.com shows that 94 and 95 are the only direct bolt in replacements. This is most likely due to the rear output shaft and speedometer sensor configurations.

You can swap the input gear, but as NOVAK warns : Because of differences in the cut of the gear, as a general rule, one should not interchange 1987-1993 gears with 1994-present gears. These years are not always hard and fast delineations. If one is not absolutely certain, disassembly and inspection is required.

You can also machine a longer input gear to the necessary short dimension to save money.

Thanks, Tim - needle in a haystack just got smaller. Now I'm considering rebuilding - I'm about to post another thread with all the details. Really appreciate it!

Back