• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a more comfortable ride...

ZenDragon

NAXJA Forum User
A few years ago right after I bought the beast and in my inexperience, went and got a 4 inch ProComp lift from the local 4WheelPart$ store. Probably the worst possible kit I could have bought. Fast forward to now, I sold my Mazdaspeed 3 daily driver, and am DDing the beast again. I just don't remember the ride being so STIFF! The roads here in Phoenix are horrible; full of pot holes and half ass repaired road construction. It is quite literally BONE JARRING to hit a nasty pot hole.

At this point I would consider going back to stock just for a more tolerable ride. On the other end of that spectrum, I've heard something like the Clayton long arm with real coil conversion gives a much softer ride overall as well, but I don't want to lift it that high, I like where its at now. In any case the constant harsh ride have considering selling this and just getting something a bit more comfortable, but right now I consider that a last resort because payments suck, and I've put so much money into this thing it would be said to give up on it now.

So please, any suggestions? My aching spine with thank you graciously! lol

Old man Emu springs, extended shackles, coil spacers to level. Rusty's front coils also have a decent spring rate.

The major factor will be your shocks. Bilstein have been the best ride I've had by far, and it's all I buy (except for KYB for my Ranger, but that's different :gag: )

Spring rate, shock absorber stiffness, tire construction, tire pressure, and control arm angles all contribute to the pavement ride. Cheaper lift kits usually include one-size-fits-all shocks that are too stiff. Control Arm drop brackets make a huge improvement to the ride comfort.

My RE 5.5 lift short arm/drop brackets with DT 3000 shocks rides nearly as smooth as my stock daily driver.

Old man Emu springs, extended shackles, coil spacers to level. Rusty's front coils also have a decent spring rate.

The major factor will be your shocks. Bilstein have been the best ride I've had by far, and it's all I buy (except for KYB for my Ranger, but that's different :gag: )

Why the extended shackles? Would that actually help the ride quality?

Start simple and try some shocks. I just replaced the Pro Comp shocks that were on the front of my XJ with Rancho 9000s on a cobbled together 4.5" short arm lift. The ride difference is huge.

Start simple and try some shocks. I just replaced the Pro Comp shocks that were on the front of my XJ with Rancho 9000s on a cobbled together 4.5" short arm lift. The ride difference is huge.

Good to know somebody at least has some experience with the Pro Crap stuff to make an informed comparison. :)

Been through this.
At 4", your control arms are at too steep an angle, it needs either long arms or dropped brackets. Dropped brackets do work well.

Springs I have tried- OME leafs were good but collapsed after a few years. The RE leafs were very hard riding due to the 5/16" thick main leaf.
Have been using a BDS 6-leaf pack for a while, it has not collapsed and the ride isn't bad.
Many times a no-lift shackle relocation kit will help with the ride, if the shackle angle is not right.
Search for postings with spring rates.
I run OME V-8 ZJ front coils, with a ACOS and find it good for the weight of the winch. When the XJ was lighter, the standard OME 3" coils were adequate.
I like the ACOS, it allow adjusting of the front ride height and has been used many times to lift, lower or even the ride height, from side to side.

Shocks- OME or 5100s are OK but still stiffer overall than upgraded shocks
Have used both in the past and very much prefer the Bilstein 5165s now in use, they soak up the little stuff much better and still stiffen in hard hits.
As always, you get what you pay for

Not to be difficult here but I really like the ride on my DPG OME Hybrid lift. Best riding XJ I have ever been in. It is better than stock and way better than my Dads 2003 4Runner. I have a four inch lift designed by DPG with JKS lower control arms and stock uppers. No drop brackets and no long arms. When I asked Dirk about drop brackets he said try his kit first as you can always add them later. I did that and never wanted or needed them. Not trying to cause an argument just stating my experience.

I know many have stated that their ride improved dramatically with Bilstein or OME shocks. Good luck.

Scroll down to the last shock DT8000 for a $50 shock IMO they are the best riding shock I have ever had on my XJ.They soak up road dips and bumps like nuthing else.If you have hit a dip in the highway and felt like you ran over a log,these shocks make it feel like your on a boat in VERY calm water...float up and down sooo easy.I have them mounted with the rod facing downwards and the body up.Plus the rod itself is 11/16" thick like comparing your pinky to your thumb.Wehn my DD 96 2WD needs some I am going with those.
http://www.doetsch-shocks.com/2.asp

I have a DPG 2.5-3" OME lift kit and there is absolute no bone jarring compared to my stock XJ. On washboard or rocky trails I hear the suspension more than I feel it. On my stock XJ it I feel like my teeth are going to vibrate out. Have about 14,000 miles on the OME and its still good.

Back