• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

York compressor.

Noah_Bricker

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I just happened onto a big bore long stroke York compressor. What does it take to run this as an air compressor and does anyone know if you could modify a bracket to fit it and the a.c. Compressor. Thanks all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

You (we) blew it. That MJ you got your seats out of had one set up, bracket and all. Neither one of us snagged it.

:doh:

So I just happened onto a big bore long stroke York compressor. What does it take to run this as an air compressor and does anyone know if you could modify a bracket to fit it and the a.c. Compressor. Thanks all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

That won't work....better just give it to me for safe keeping.

I have a York on my shop floor I plan on rebuilding and maybe putting in my jeep some day. Would be interested in what you find out.......

Noah, in all seriousness...

A York is very easy to use for OBA. Basically, the only real obstacle on the cherokee is space. You can try to fit it next to the stock ac compressor with a custom bracket. This would require relocation of the battery and possibly some fuse block/wiring/relays. Might even have to trim into the wheelwell a bit.

After the hard part of making it fit, it's pretty simple...run a belt to it, run the clutch off a relay controlled by a switch in the cab (make sure to run a hobb switch as a safety measure to limit pressure). Run the intake side to its own filter or plumb it into your airbox on the clean side of the engine air filter. Run the output side using copper tube to a small tank (or bumper tank). Don't use rubber or plastic hose for that section...way too much heat.

Voila...OBA.

Ditto John X! I have several Yorks, one brand new in a box and two take offs. They are sitting waiting for plug n play. No place to put that is easy. My van no room especially with two alternators, XJ you have to revamp everything, the Scout 80 may fit but that 6.2 Diesel is going to take up a lot of room!

Found this:

Sorry to dredge this back up, but I only came across this thread today while searching for something else.

Here are some pics showing one way to mount a York on the driver's side of a 4.0 Liter in an XJ.

Credit for fabricating the mount goes to Scott Isferding at Diamond Off Road in Haslet, TX. Scott's the best.

This location is ideal for my setup; it left plenty of room for a small manifold, pop-off valve, and pressure switch on the outboard side of the compressor. And of course, it left the factory A/C and battery location completely unaffected. The only thing sacrificed was the stock breather box (no great loss).

This setup was installed in late 2005 and has worked well since.

The belt is a Gates K061130.

Edit-5386.jpg

Edit-5381.jpg

Edit-5383.jpg

Edit-5384.jpg

Excellent setup, issue may arise with smog in CA without the factory intake.
Oh, the issue ought to definitely rear its ugly head during the visual inspection. Automatic fail with out the heater tube coming off the exhaust manifold.

Pffffft!

Oh, the issue ought to definitely rear its ugly head during the visual inspection. Automatic fail with out the heater tube coming off the exhaust manifold.

XJ Armour made a CA smog legal intake kit that legally deleted the heat riser tube.

I haven't seen one in a number of years. The hard part would finding the appropriate CARB EO sticker.

ahem, but here is the official info that would have to be on it, right off of carb's site. convincing a smog tech that it is all legal might be another story though, they are paranoid these days. i had a tech try to fail my diesel for having a coolant filter.

Manufacturer Name: XJ-Armor
Device: Jeep Cherokee Air Tube
Device Type: Air Filter / Intake Modification
Part_Number: Model_Specification: Modification_Allowed: Remarks:
1987 to 1991 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 liter
EO: D-577-1 View PDF
EO Date: 2004-08-31
Manufacturer Name: XJ-Armor
Device: Jeep Cherokee Air Tube
Device Type: Air Filter / Intake Modification
Part_Number: Model_Specification: Modification_Allowed: Remarks:
XJ-2201 1987-1995 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 L
EO: D-578 View PDF
EO Date: 2004-04-14

Paranoid indeed. Part of the problem I'd the way the f*****g state places an unreasonable burden on the shops. Say that I take my truck in to Cal's Smog Shop. I legitimately pass the test test with flying colors. Two years down the road I take the same truck in to a different shop and it fails for something stupid like the EGR valve iso stuck. Cal's shop gets dinged with points against him. Too many points and Cal is our of the testing program.

If I'm Cal I'm going to start turning away older questionable vehicles by finding something, anything I can so I don't have to test them because in 2 years when they fail I get dinged.

Last edited:
Spectre cowl intake for a Renix is CARB approved. I think I need to find me a York and get find another use for my Viair compressor

Excellent setup, issue may arise with smog in CA without the factory intake.

Depending on the year that's not an issue. Ad long as there are no sensors in front of the TB you can do whatever. Need tp be careful though when you go smog as not all techs know that.

Depending on the year that's not an issue. Ad long as there are no sensors in front of the TB you can do whatever. Need tp be careful though when you go smog as not all techs know that.

External and internal engine modifications (intakes, cams, pistons, etc) must use parts that are EPA certified or ARB-exempted for use in the particular engine.

So....no, you can't just do whatever you want because it doesn't have a sensor. While I fully agree that it would have no bearing on actual emissions, it is technically illegal to modify ANY part of the engine or emission related parts.

And yes, MANY smog techs won't care, and plenty of them will. If you get sent to the ref, there is a good chance he will waive it if you're nice to him and he's having a good day.

Unless things have changed (would not surprise me), you are free to modify the exhaust after the catalytic converter.

At least that was the rule when I was working in the automotive aftermarket exhaust industry.

I have never heard of a comparable rule regarding the intake.

there is an exception - it's buried someplace in an addendum. I know... I've been smogging my snorkel equipped XJ for years. Had to look up that addendum once in the past decade. Roughly it read - it has to be OBD2, with no sensors in front of the TB.

Back