• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hjeepxj's build thread

hjeepxj

#OCDINK
NAXJA Member
It's been a long time since I have wrenched on an XJ or wheeled an XJ....too long...too long.

My wife and I decided to purchase a very clean '00 Limited with 143k miles. She is going to drive it until next summer when the weather is bad and sometimes just for fun. I will be adding cosmetic/armor/stock type upgrades until summer when I will be upgrading the suspension, axles, steering, and brakes.

The Jeep will be designed to be a very comfortable and capable trail/expedition vehicle. A rig that you wouldn't mind driving across country or daily if you had to.

The basics of the build will be a Full Traction 6" w/LA's, Stinkyfab OTK steering and WJ brake upgrade, 35" MTR Kevlars, D30 front with ARB Super 30 kit, 4.88s, and trussing. D44 rear w/ARB, alloys, 4.88s, and discs. Bumpers f/r, full armor, Conferr roofrack, LED lights on the exterior and interior.

I just hit the go button on the following:

- Smoked corner lenses
- Truck-Lite headlights
- Trailready front bumper (I have to wait 4 weeks for this :/)
- JCR rear Vanguard bumper w/tire carrier, Hi-Lift jack mount, fuel tank mounts
- JCR rear quarter panel guards w/tail lights and lower quarter guards

I will install these as time allows. Up next will be the Stinky FAB Steering kit, Artec inner c gussets and D30 truss. I have a D30 housing with upgraded UCA mounts, LCA mounts, I also have a CRANE diff cover and the Super 30 w/the ARB. I will sandblast the housing, add the trackbar mount, sway bar mounts and trussing then it will be powder coated.

This is the JEEP:

Just%20Purchased%2010-10-16_zpscmrsvtku.jpg

Assembled all of the parts I already had - got a great deal on the two electric fans, the Rusty's intake, and the rear drive shaft pictured.

Does anyone know if I can fit these two fans and a B&M tranny cooler?

I changed my mind on the Truck-Lite's and switched to the High Beam Offroad lights.

I will probably order the Stinkyfab kit soon so I can get to work adding the trackbar mount and sway bar mounts to the D30..

Parts_zps0bl2q4vl.jpg

Just a quick update, hoping to start work soon to get some pics and get this thing on the trail!

Just ordered the 4.88's for the D44, the ABR, and 35 spline alloy shafts. I also ordered an Addco swaybar for the front and a D&C Extreme cage.

I will be doing Hooligan fenders f/r along with their frame plating.

PICS TO COME SOON!!! :D

Have they changed the cage design at all? I know it's under a new owner, I did some work for him back in the day and had that cage. Like the design but ended up pulling it out because it sat too low in the body. There was maybe an inch between my head and the main hoop, and I'm maybe 5'10''

Have they changed the cage design at all? I know it's under a new owner, I did some work for him back in the day and had that cage. Like the design but ended up pulling it out because it sat too low in the body. There was maybe an inch between my head and the main hoop, and I'm maybe 5'10''

I have no idea but I will be finding out soon, I am going to be picking it up the week after this one and I will make sure it will work for me. I am 6'1".

I'll report back.

I just took delivery of the JCR bumper yesterday, I need to wait to receive the tire carrier and the front bumper, I ordered them all bare so I can have them powder coated with the same powder coat (OCD alert lol).

Hoping the High Beam Offroad lights get here tomorrow so I can install those! (Monday is my Sunday right now)

Picking up the D&C cage Wednesday, the guy on the phone said the cage has been updated since then, so hopefully we're good.

Took delivery of the rear 35 spline ARB, the 35 spline D44 axle shafts, and Nitro D30 ujoints.

The JCR Bumper is AWESOME, I'm jonesing to get it installed...I also built a work bench in my garage, we're almost good to take the gloves off!!

JCR%20Rear%20Bumper_zpssarlqwid.jpg

Work%20Bench_zpsfvaloaqj.jpg

ALSO, the stupid multi function switch for the headlights/turnsignals acted up so I ordered one of those along with some rear hatch shocks. I am hoping the High Beam Offroad headlights get here this week, the stock headlights SUCK.

I am hoping the High Beam Offroad headlights get here this week, the stock headlights SUCK.

You got that right!! I swapped in Cibbie E-Codes on my '01 XJ w/upgraded wiring and it made a fantastic difference. (Did this years ago...) but I've always wanted a set of LED or HID headlights to try out. Just couldn't justify the price since I've already upgraded w/the Cibbies. I'm interested to get your input and reviews on the High Beam Offroad lights when you get them installed.

You got that right!! I swapped in Cibbie E-Codes on my '01 XJ w/upgraded wiring and it made a fantastic difference. (Did this years ago...) but I've always wanted a set of LED or HID headlights to try out. Just couldn't justify the price since I've already upgraded w/the Cibbies. I'm interested to get your input and reviews on the High Beam Offroad lights when you get them installed.

These were $300 shipped, reasonable...IMO. I could understand not wanting to give up Cibbies though, I've heard great things about them. I will for sure report back on their quality, I think I have been spoiled driving my '16 Silverado with the fancy LED/HID's it has...I'm nervous for when they "burnout" though.

I just picked the cage up - SUPER pumped! I may install that sooner rather than later if I get the itch, I just want to make sure it is going to tie in to the replacement rockers (which will be then tied to the Hooligan frame stiffners)

:chef:

All front axle components are ordered. Plan is to get in hand then strip axle down and install all new bracketry then have it powder coated, then install ARB, gears, etc.

I went with this setup:

Hub bolts 32.95
Steering/Bracketry 712.58 Stinkyfab kit
Rotors 129.55 Iron Rock Offroad
Calipers 225 Just for Jeeps
Hubs/Ball Joints 204.55 Rock Auto

$~600 cheaper than the full StinkyFab kit...will keep everyone posted on how it goes.

Couple quick updates - got the High Beam Offroad Predator Series headlights installed...HOLY LORD. These things are worth every penny for sure. WAY brighter than stock.

High%20Beam%20Offroad%20Headlights_zps0bsrfnly.jpg

High%20Beam%20Offroad%20Headlights%201_zpsptpicmjv.jpg

High%20Beam%20Offroad%20Headlights%202_zpsw3pwdj10.jpg

I received both bumpers, tire carrier, and have all four Hooligan fenders, JCR tails, and a Hooligan 50" curved LED mount and dropped them off at powder coat today, I went with "Dupont Black Wrinkle" as I really like the powder coat JCR uses so I tried to copy it.

Powder%20Coat_zpsjaqlfbly.jpg

I began the rear storage and converted the interior bulbs to LED

Rear%20Cargo_zpspil2mxx1.jpg

Interior%20LEDs_zpsovtj5zr6.jpg

Looking good and those new headlights look great!! Making me re-think keeping my Cibie E-Codes... perhaps it's time for me to try these out.

Looking good and those new headlights look great!! Making me re-think keeping my Cibie E-Codes... perhaps it's time for me to try these out.

IMO: I would recommend it. I know Cibie's are super nice, but these are amazing. They are on sale for "black friday" at $235 shipped...great deal.

Hoping to get a daylight picture up asap.

Cool thanks, I'm ordering some. Nice build btw

Sorry for the late reply, yes, for the pair. Great deal. :D

And thank you!! I'm getting anxious to see it take shape.

Just pulled the trigger on the following:

4" Deaver Leafs
1" JKS Shackle
5.5" Deaver coils
(I am doing the TNT ubolt eliminator kit in the rear netting 5.5" lift f/r)
JKS quicker discos and bar pin eliminators
Bilstein 5100 shocks
Wilwood D44 big caliper/drilled/slotted rotors
Iron Rock D44 Truss
Iron Rock Hack-n-Tap SYE
Iron Rock drop pitman arm
D30 Tube seals and sleeves
Rough Country Apillar light mounts

VERY soon I will order the longarms and the winch.

So, not much work wise, stupid holidays are busy.

Got the front bumper installed:

Trailready%20Bumper_zpsdylalo7t.jpg

I *may* attempt the rear JCR w/tire carrier next weekend...

The Colorado Chapter is going to put together a build day and we're going to learn how to cut some old bracketry off a D30 and a D44 and weld some new stuff on. :D Some time in January, shooting to have the axles all the way finished by March.

Back