NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old July 3rd, 2022, 12:10
NAXJA Member

NP242 transfer case indicator switch seal?

Can someone tell me what it looks like?

I just replaced the electrical switch on my NP242 as the old one was dead; ever since I've had the jeep it would hang and illuminate "part time" for several days after you returned it to 2WD now it will not light anything at all. When I pulled the old switch out it looked like it had an o-ring on it that was all smushed. I put a fiber washer on the new one out of an assortment I had but that appears to be too thick. if I move the selector through the positions, I get a blink of a "part time" light and the "full time" light never comes on. Was it a thin copper washer, thinner fiber washer (cereal box?) other? Or did I get another defective switch?

The weird thing is I am googling and I can't even find a parts diagram that looks right.

thanks!
Old July 3rd, 2022, 12:53
NAXJA Forum User

Re: NP242 transfer case indicator switch seal?

It's just a o-ring..... https://www.crownautomotive.net/Tran...l/4338956.html
Old July 3rd, 2022, 13:30
NAXJA Forum User

I use the green a/c orings , They are very good and don't swell in oil or fuel so it good to use for a lot of things . I got a box of them from Harbor freight and they are cheap to buy .
Old July 3rd, 2022, 13:46
NAXJA Member

I have some o-rings, just use the smallest one that fits I guess? It really doesn't look like this was designed for an o-ring though.

Part of me is tempted to cut a gasket from either a cereal box or a chinese takout container lid.
Old July 3rd, 2022, 15:32
NAXJA Member

OK, I used the smallest metric O-ring that would just fit over the threads with a tiny stretch. Indicator now works perfectly, although I was reminded how much fun it is to finagle a TC into low range with an automatic transmission (really would have parked on a slope to try this had I planned ahead). We will see if it leaks or not. My kit says the O-ring I used was 13.8 ID, 18.6 OD, 2.4 section. Thought about removing the switch to see if it messed up the O-ring like the old one, but also thought about pouring myself a drink and watching TV, so I chose the latter.
Old July 3rd, 2022, 15:48
NAXJA Forum User

I'm gonna pull the switch from one of my dead t/c's next weekend, 'cos I can't imagine where a o-ring would go, but none of my indicator lights have ever worked properly, if at all.
Old July 3rd, 2022, 15:54
NAXJA Member

FYI both my old and new switches are labeled "Lucas" so any used one is suspect LOL
Old July 3rd, 2022, 20:14
NAXJA Forum User

I put in a Dorman switch since I couldn't find anything else for the 242 and it has done the job well enough. Sometimes it does take popping it into reverse to get the part-time light to turn off.
Old July 4th, 2022, 08:46
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTex View Post
I put in a Dorman switch since I couldn't find anything else for the 242 and it has done the job well enough. Sometimes it does take popping it into reverse to get the part-time light to turn off.

I bought an "OEM" switch off of eBay because even the Dorman one was eye wateringly expensive. It's working so far, and honestly I'll be surprised if I still have this vehicle in 5 years (although I might turn it into a parts donor in which case I may end up using the transfer case out of it...)
Old July 4th, 2022, 11:31
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N_99xj View Post
FYI both my old and new switches are labeled "Lucas" so any used one is suspect LOL
Maybe, but, curiously, only in America it seems. I grew up with Lucas electrics & never had a real problem over many years - including the much derided injection system used by Triumph in the '70's/'80's. Not much evidence on Jeeps though (i-m-e) much more likely to be Valeo, from who Mopar seemed to buy in everything, so you had no idea who actually made it.
Old July 6th, 2022, 11:20
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N_99xj View Post
Indicator now works perfectly, although I was reminded how much fun it is to finagle a TC into low range with an automatic transmission (really would have parked on a slope to try this had I planned ahead).
I dont have the NP242 installed yet... just sitting in garage, but I have the Azzy transfer case linkage on my 231 and getting into 4 lo isnt a problem, its like butter with a tiny bit of "err"