NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old March 12th, 2019, 18:33
NAXJA Forum User

Patching up my junker...

Hey everyone.

I was practically given a 95 XJ (4.0 Auto) that had been in a front end collision. I've been working on getting it fixed up with some parts from a buddy of mine. There's a few issues I could use some help with. Figured I could just make it a build thread too.

1. Oil pressure gauge is pegged to the high end. Is that going to be a short to ground or possibly disconnected? Where is the sending unit on a 95 4.0?

I was trying to burp the cooling system and it turns out the used radiator I got is leaking.... The temperature gauge got in the red but the e-fan never came on. I haven't tried supplying power directly to the fan but shouldn't it have come on? I was about halfway into the red, don't remember what the range is there and I'm not near the Jeep right now to check.

Here it is when I got it:

Here it is two weeks ago:

Old March 12th, 2019, 18:34
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Patching up my junker...

Yeah the parts are rough, but free is free lol.
Old March 13th, 2019, 08:20
NAXJA Member

The sender is probably shorted internally. Simple test is disconnect the wire from the oil pressure sender and see if the gauge drops to zero. You can also test resistance between the tab on the sender and the battery. The old style gauges have a coil inside, and the sender provides variable resistance on the ground leg.

For the efan, the computer is supposed to ground the relay whenever the AC compressor is activated or whenver the coolant sensor in the thermostat housing shows temps over ~215f. Easy to check the fan circuit by pulling the relay and using a small jumper wire to see if the fan comes on. If that works then verify the gauge with an IR temp gun on the thermostat housing.
Old March 15th, 2019, 15:20
NAXJA Forum User

Thank you!

I disconnected the sender and no change so it's either the gauge itself or in the wiring somewhere.

I also jumpered the relay and the fan spins up fine.

Thanks for the help!
Old March 15th, 2019, 18:34
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillman88 View Post
I disconnected the sender and no change so it's either the gauge itself or in the wiring somewhere.

The gage reading is proportional to the resistance. So disconnecting the wire should peg the gauge, and grounding it should make it read zero. I almost guarantee your sender is bad.
Old March 16th, 2019, 08:48
NAXJA Member

try running a lead from the sender wire to a ground (engine or battery), see if the gauge drops to zero