NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old January 17th, 2019, 16:41
NAXJA Forum User

98 Cherokee 4.0 elec connectors

Haven't been on here in a while (Sold my last XJ)
But I took the engine and trans (4.0/AX15), to go into my CJ8

I need some insight on some electrical connectors as I put it all back together.

These are all on the passenger side, and are part of the distributor and the alternator. Can someone get pics or trace the wires from these connectors? One of the pics is the large black/white wire off the back of the alternator. Does that connect to the PDC?

Oh, and the vacuum connection at the rear of the valve cover. Can I just put a filter there? Did that connect to the factory air box?

Thanks

Old January 19th, 2019, 09:17
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 98 Cherokee 4.0 elec connectors

You're transplanting the original wiring harness too? Almost all the connectors are keyed, so it's hard to misplug anything. If you have an FSM you can trace out where wires are supposed to go. The breather on the rear of the valve cover went to the intake manifold so it gets vacuum, and the front went to the air box for fresh air.
Old January 20th, 2019, 07:27
NAXJA Forum User

Yes, I have (fairly certain) the entire wiring harness from the XJ, and between the FSM and the keyed connectors, I have most of it.

I just want/need confirmation of how the PDC is wired (both a wire from the battery and the wire from the alternator on the single stud on the PDC?)

I've located all the connectors but can't seem to find the connector to the distributor. I also didn't see the distributor wiring connection in the FSM. If I knew where it ran and the color of the connector (most likely black), I might could figure out what was going on .

Thanks
Old January 22nd, 2019, 16:42
NAXJA Forum User

Figured it out. The grey connector, right beside the camshaft connector in the first pic.....that's it.

It was right in my face.
Old March 11th, 2019, 04:52
NAXJA Forum User

So I got my engine to fire up.

I have a question though...I kind of hacked my wiring harness and was thinking about starting from scratch again (lots of lessons learned) but don't know what years/models/options harnesses will work.

I'm currently using a 1998 engine/manual trans (ax15) and the wiring harness and computer from that vehicle.

Will a harness from an automatic XJ work with my M/T computer? Would I need to get an Auto computer too? What about TJ harness? Those are easier to find with manual trans. I know I'd need a distributor harness version.

Thanks
Old March 11th, 2019, 07:54
NAXJA Forum User

I think the automatic harness would just have the extra connectors for the trans computer, and it's associated wiring, which you can just leave unhooked. Only difference I could see would be a minor modification to connect the neutral or clutch switch so you can crank the starter, and hokking up the reverse lights.
Old March 11th, 2019, 15:00
NAXJA Forum User

Can't speak for your 98 but 2k was very harness specific.
Old March 11th, 2019, 19:29
NAXJA Forum User

yea...I'd have to stick with the distributor version (up to 99?) the later ones have a coil pack setup I believe.