• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Narrow Tires 33-35in

jeepboy381

NAXJA Forum User
I took my Jeep up in the crapy slushy snow today and they sucked. I have 33X12.5-15 BFG M/T's with 25% tread left. I was getting yanked around every where in the ruts and trying to turn on a side hill was near impossible, it just wanted to slide sideways. I remember these tires doing good when they were new but not so much any more. I am considering a narrower tire for the snow up here, they seem to do better.
This Jeep is not my Daily driver but I do drive it to the trail, it has 4.56 gears, 5 speed, 6inch longarm lift, dana 44 locked, dana 30 ARB with non disco 5-760 axle shafts.
I only have run BFG M/T's. No experience with others.

Here are my choices for a 15inch wheel
Narrow
TSL Bias 34 X 9.5
TSL Radial 33 X 10.5
LTB 34 X 10.5 -
BFG M/T 33 X 10.5

Not Narrow
TSL Bias 33 X 12.5
TSL Radial 33 X 12.5
LTB 33 X 13.5
BFG 33 or 35 X 12.5
Truxes 33, 34, or 35 X 12.5

You want a wide tire in the snow, helps your junk 'float' better.

Trxus do very well in the snow. Lots of factory siping helps alot.

Bias Ply tires suck in the snow IMO unless you sipe and/or groove them.

My .02.

I have ran bias tsl's on my old dodge ram and they did alright in the snow but they weren't the best. If you are running in the snow alot get something that is a little wide and you may even have to air them down a bit. I run tsl's on my xj and with the mud and everything i love them. IMO they are the next best thing to boggers.

I think narrow tires do better in slushy snow and wider tires do better in powder. Maybe I am just disapointed in my 33 X 12.5's because they are getting worn down. 3 Years of daily driving. What should I do, I have only run 32 X11.5's and 33X12.5 BFG M/T's. Today when I was having a hard time I was aired down to 6 PSI also and they still sucked, I think the tread is just getting warn down. I keep hearing narrow TSL's kick ass in the snow.

Like i said I have never even seen deep snow but I know that my BFGs are great at everything else! Were you satisfied with your M/Ts when you got them? If so just buy some more. Your's are worn out!

Personally i hate BFGS Old tech tires. I had some 32"s ATs and they wore out QUICK!!! So i bought some Procomp MTS and They wernt half as loud. and guess what? they lasted longer too. Well i got a good deal on some 33" BFGs MTS and they suck. LOUD LOUD TIRES. Well i guess theres hope for there new MT:roll:

jeepboy381 said:
I think narrow tires do better in slushy snow and wider tires do better in powder. Maybe I am just disapointed in my 33 X 12.5's because they are getting worn down. 3 Years of daily driving. What should I do, I have only run 32 X11.5's and 33X12.5 BFG M/T's. Today when I was having a hard time I was aired down to 6 PSI also and they still sucked, I think the tread is just getting warn down. I keep hearing narrow TSL's kick ass in the snow.

Some people say the tires get harder as they get older, some say they get harder when they wear beyond a certain point.
I've found the size not as relevant as the tire compound itself, with tread pattern also an influence.
Best frozen slush and ice tire I've found is the Firestone (Bridgestone) LT 235/85/16 M/T teraflex steel, about a 31 X 7.5. Basically the same tread/tire as a Blizzak, but comes with factory (some serious) sipping.
For snow a Goodyear M/T, less than three years old, after that they fall off fast. Goodyear M/T's just seem good at cleaning themselves IMO.
I just put on a new set of BFG A/T's they seem good enough so far.

the narrow tsl's are great in snow. We go bogging in the snow here in ND all the time and my buddies yj with tsl's never has a problem.

Josh, the single best tire I have ever seen in the snow are Interco Trxus'. Pick your size, they are spectacular and last pretty well (not as long as the BFGs') for what they are.

Here's my thread from a couple days ago: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=935005 Read it all and PM me if you have any questions.

-----Matt-----

P.S. I'll be near Mt. Hood this weekend with my new rig. Wanna buy me a beer? :cheers:

If you want a good snow tire you are just better off with some A/T's. M/T's just arent that great in the snow

IXNAYXJ said:
BTW, I've run 31x11.50 Les Schwab M/Ts, 33x10.50 TSL Radials, 33x12.50 TSL SSR Radials, and 34x12.50 Trxus M/Ts. The narrow tires were okay, but nothing like the Trxus' in the snow.

You've seen how hard I am on them. Great tire, IMHO.

-----Matt-----
This is a great comparison of tires, I figured it would basically come down to TSL vs Trxus and it looks like people like the Truxes better in the snow and all around driving. Now I just need to decide what size, with 4.56's and a 5 speed, 6 inch's of lift and cut out fenders. Never had much of a problem with my 33's except for clearing the rocks. Never really broke anything either, what do you think?

IXNAYXJ said:
Josh, the single best tire I have ever seen in the snow are Interco Trxus'. Pick your size, they are spectacular and last pretty well (not as long as the BFGs') for what they are.

Here's my thread from a couple days ago: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=935005 Read it all and PM me if you have any questions.

-----Matt-----

P.S. I'll be near Mt. Hood this weekend with my new rig. Wanna buy me a beer? :cheers:
I might possibly be down for getting some beer. When are you going to be in town and where exactly are you going to be? I live outside of portland closer to Mt Hood. Depending on weather I could be doing nothing or could be snow boarding. Let em know! Later

Josh, seriously, go for the TrXus M/T

my 33x12.50x15 on a 15x8 wheel measures 7.9" wide at the lugs.

and they'll whoop up on anything in the snow. I've always been a BFG guy too and I am seriously impressed with these tires. Especially in the snow. Places I fought to get to in snow with BFG's in 4wd I was driving thru like nothing in 2wd

Last edited:
I run my BIAS Creepy Crawlers at 1.5 psi in the snow. They putted me up everything I pointed at this weekend. We ran Tonga and were plowing frewsh tracks all the way to the top.

IMHO, sipe your current tires and run them till they are 100% bald. Then get some new ones.

And for the record, BFG A/T's at less than 5psi rock out with thier XXXX out in the snow.

Living here in Manitoba, Canada we get alot of snow and cold weather as you might guess. I've switched to running 33x9.50R15 BFG AT's in winter on stock TJ steelies. Wicked street traction be it ice/snow/sleet whatever they grip like crazy. The contact patch is so small it receives alot of grip. BUT in deep snow (The crispier stuff), you will sink like a torpedoed sub as soon as you hit the gas. If i know i'm going winter wheeling out in the boonies, i'll switch to the 35x12.50R15 TrXus.
For what it's worth, if you can just run one tire type, from your list i would choose the BFG MT KM2 33x10.50R15's; i think they'd do very well in everything. HTH. -B

KarlVP said:
I run my BIAS Creepy Crawlers at 1.5 psi in the snow. They putted me up everything I pointed at this weekend. We ran Tonga and were plowing frewsh tracks all the way to the top.

IMHO, sipe your current tires and run them till they are 100% bald. Then get some new ones.

And for the record, BFG A/T's at less than 5psi rock out with thier XXXX out in the snow.
I was also thinking of just holding out until the new BFG M/T's came out in my size. Maybe I will just take my tires in and get them siped again. I got them siped when they were new but they have worn through the sipes. I want new tires but I really don't want to pay for them, I just bought a set of 31's for my daily driver Jeep.

jeepboy381 said:
Where did you get yours Jason and how much did they cost? I will be getting new 15X8 wheels to.

4wheelparts here in town.

My cost was $147 each for the 33" tire. Normally $154 a tire I believe. You get a free red air compressor if you buy 4.

34's normal retail $197.99 each

35's normal retail is $201.99 each

TrXus run at lower tire pressure without blowing beads as easy too, they're way tighter on the rim.

I could probably set you up $10 lower than that each on all of them...MAYBE

Back