• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Over my head in problems and need help

Agreed. I just checked a 04 4.0. all 160-155.

Have you checked the actual ignition timing with a timing light versus the PCM desired timing (scan tool)? If for some reason it's too advanced it can ping.
I unfortunately do not have access to this tool. I would be interested in trying to save this engine since most of it was replaced in December of this past year

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sits around 10-12 at idle and I cant see what marks it goes up to when you rev it up but it goes to the same spot and stays there

I couldn't compare the timing from the timing light to the timing on front the computer because my live feed on my reader is too slow to really tell me if they are matching. I was hoping someone here would tell me if these are good numbers

Re: Cracked Heads

Many years ago I went through cracked heads on a four banger. I was informed by a number of engine shops that it was a chronic problem with this brand of vehicle. I pulled the cracked head and checked it out on my bench. I concluded the ports in the head were undersized on purpose to reduce the flow and run hotter so as to improve emissions. The reduced flow through the head allowed carbon to build-up in the ports. As carbon built-up in the ports, the head started to run hotter and eventually the head would crack. My solution was to mildly port the head to improve flow. Problem solved and I never cracked another head in about 250,000 miles.

Pinging/pre-ignition can also be caused by carbon build-up in the head's combustion chamber. The fact that there is a carbon build-up in a particular part of the combustion chamber indicates a " flow dead-zone", i.e. poor flow through the combustion chamber. A mild porting improves flow during the valve overlap duration (i.e. when both intake and exhaust valves are open).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

CJR

Re: Cracked Heads

Many years ago I went through cracked heads on a four banger. I was informed by a number of engine shops that it was a chronic problem with this brand of vehicle. I pulled the cracked head and checked it out on my bench. I concluded the ports in the head were undersized on purpose to reduce the flow and run hotter so as to improve emissions. The reduced flow through the head allowed carbon to build-up in the ports. As carbon built-up in the ports, the head started to run hotter and eventually the head would crack. My solution was to mildly port the head to improve flow. Problem solved and I never cracked another head in about 250,000 miles.

Pinging/pre-ignition can also be caused by carbon build-up in the head's combustion chamber. The fact that there is a carbon build-up in a particular part of the combustion chamber indicates a " flow dead-zone", i.e. poor flow through the combustion chamber. A mild porting improves flow during the valve overlap duration (i.e. when both intake and exhaust valves are open).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

CJR
That is an interesting experiance. I was sure to get an 0630 head do I don't think the flow is restricted but it's definitely something to keep in mind.
Thank you

What do you guys think about seafoam in the crank case. My top end and pistons are clean but I know the previous owner did not change the oil often. When I put a new head on originally the valve train was covered in thick sludge. So maybe buildup in the crank case is the issue

What plugs are you using? As in exactly what part number is on the plugs?
I will have to get back to you on the part number. But they are the standard ngk copper plugs. Everyone says that's what the 4.0 runs best on so that's what I use

Back