• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Size of the rear sway bar bolts?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, what's is the diameter of those bolts? They work great diameterwise for what I need them but I need them longer :( They seem to be bigger then 7/16", a hair smaller then 1/2" But I don't think it's 12mm either..... Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks
Kejtar

I have learned over the years wth my 88 XJ was designed using the metric system. I have learned to grab my metric sockets to work on the XJ. I am not even sure why I carry the english tools in the XJ other than to have them to help someone with a home project while I am visiting.

So go shopping for a new metric fastener. Make sure to look at the head of the bolt and get at least that grade of fastener. It should be a number like 8.8 or 10.9 stamped into the head if it is a high strength bolt.

It sounds like you are replacing the bolts because hte sway bar was removed. I may suggest either going to a u-pick yard and get them off a wreck or go to the dealer and buy the real thing. I am not a believer in going cheap on suspension components.

You might pay up to $5 per bolt at the dealer but at least you will have the right size and strength fastener.

Ummm but I need them longer... so pick a part will not be any good for me :(
In any case, does anyone know the size of that bolt?

Kejtar

Back