• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!! valve cover bolt broke off

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
One of my valve cover bolts is broken. I pulled out the bolt, or rather what's left of it, and the other half is still in the head. How do I get this thing out so I can replace the bolt?

Is it flush with the head, sticking up above, or did it break down inside the head? I have welded another bolt to the part sticking up out of a head and then backed it off. I also have used a shorter bolt in a bolt hole that has bolt broke off down inside the bolt hole and just left the other piece in the hole, not the best to remedy a broken bolt but it worked in a non-critical application.

I've not taken the head off thus far, but it appears to be broken at about the half way mork of the threaded part of the bolt. The bolt itself doesn't seem to grip anything and just sit there,so I'm thinking it's snapped at the head more than likely. It's the back side bolt on the drivers side of the cover.
Unfortunately I don't have a welder, or anything to extract it right now. The only thing I can think of right now is to take it to a auto place I know near by, or an engine rebuild place I was recommeneded to go see. What would I be looking at $$ wise to have it extracted?
On another note, what do I need to use for the gasket/etc on it once I remove and ready to put the cover back on?

reg_b.gif
Get one of these.

You can buy tap sets at sears they come in different sizes, basically jsut a backwards drillbit. the inside of the bolt should be soft.

Last time I did it I punched a divit in the top of the broke off bolt with a small punch and then put the tap in the divit and hit it lightly a couple times with a hammer and then attached the drill, then just reverse it out.

jblaze5779 said:
You can buy tap sets at sears they come in different sizes, basically jsut a backwards drillbit. the inside of the bolt should be soft.

Last time I did it I punched a divit in the top of the broke off bolt with a small punch and then put the tap in the divit and hit it lightly a couple times with a hammer and then attached the drill, then just reverse it out.

Will check the Sears up here and see what they have. It'll have to be a pretty small one though. Hoping it comes out without problems.

RyleyF said:
Meh, there's like 40 valve cover bolts anyway, is one really that big of a problem?
It's not a big problem if you don't mind a leak where the one bolt is missing/broken.

If the cover can really seal with less bolts, Chryco would have equipped the cover with less bolts.

I snapped one off building my eninge and have ran it for 500 mies without a leak so far.... Might not be that bad but I see your point of wanting to get it out. I stopped fighting with it and gave up after smoking 3 bits.

cykaaro said:
Will check the Sears up here and see what they have. It'll have to be a pretty small one though. Hoping it comes out without problems.

the one that I used was very thin, looked exactly like one of those skinny wood drillbits

a steady hand is really all you need

jblaze5779 said:
the one that I used was very thin, looked exactly like one of those skinny wood drillbits

a steady hand is really all you need

Agreed and I also add that a using a cutting oil is a good idea and don't apply a huge amount of pressure, don't run the drill continuously, stop to let the bit cool. Keeping the bit from getting hot is important because heat de-tempers steel and it loses its hardened properties.

Back