• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

I just read about this not to long ago on another forum.
Of course it could be the same guy posting there too. LOL.
There is a finned aluminium looking cooler in there.
Somebody showed a picture once. Resembled this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MIm7Dv4dWA5wIVFo7ICh0APABYEAQYAiABEgJP7vD_BwE

Said it leaked somehow and it was all down hill from there.

I had this happen in a Chevy S10 I owned in high school. The GM Dexcool would rust out the radiator between the radiator and trans cooler. Destroyed my transmission.

I've had this radiator, CSF 3 core, for about 12 years plus. This is the first I had ever heard of it as well.

Apparantly it's not that uncommon, from what I'm hearing from others once I tell them what happened. One guy said that's why he bypasses the radiator all together and just uses a separate tranny oil cooler.

So far the fluid color is getting more red(redder?). I'm just on my 6th gallon and this is getting expensive to be buying all this tranny fluid.

On a side note, Walmart has the fluid for way cheaper than O'reily's...$13 vs $20+

On another weird note, the Walmart brand of tranny fluid is $3 more than the Valvoline brand...

I've had this radiator, CSF 3 core, for about 12 years plus. This is the first I had ever heard of it as well.

Apparantly it's not that uncommon, from what I'm hearing from others once I tell them what happened. One guy said that's why he bypasses the radiator all together and just uses a separate tranny oil cooler.

So far the fluid color is getting more red(redder?). I'm just on my 6th gallon and this is getting expensive to be buying all this tranny fluid.

On a side note, Walmart has the fluid for way cheaper than O'reily's...$13 vs $20+

On another weird note, the Walmart brand of tranny fluid is $3 more than the Valvoline brand...

I just got my XJ back together, I disconnected the trans cooling lines from radiator and bought a simple external cooler (~$50). Never had the issue, but this is cheap insurance!

3108ddd555a778ff9170e2cc1ef97f1a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I just got my XJ back together, I disconnected the trans cooling lines from radiator and bought a simple external cooler (~$50). Never had the issue, but this is cheap insurance!

3108ddd555a778ff9170e2cc1ef97f1a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what's funny is that I had just bought an external tranny cooler...however I had thought I would just run it in series with the radiator cooler as well...

Picked up a set of Corbeau seat brackets today off CL.

Did some more troubleshooting on the head. Passed the block tester. Gonna just watch it for more signs at this point, I think it’s ok. Maybe I’ll just buy an LS when I see one

NOW WE TALKIN!

If my XJ were an auto I'd probably already at least have the parts sitting around. I'd really like to retain the 5spd, and that's only happening on an LS with expensive adapters.

That being said a 4.8L/5spd XJ seems like it would be perfect.

Picked up a set of Corbeau seat brackets today off CL.

Did some more troubleshooting on the head. Passed the block tester. Gonna just watch it for more signs at this point, I think it’s ok. Maybe I’ll just buy an LS when I see one

nice. you doing harnesses?

nice. you doing harnesses?

Not unless I decide its time for a cage. Which unless I start getting out more often I don't see happening.

Got a new latch for the tire carrier today. No more rattle

My Jeep is quiet. Too quiet...

Not unless I decide its time for a cage. Which unless I start getting out more often I don't see happening.
I'm slowly headed that direction. Almost rolled it over the front last time I was out. Already bought harnesses. Will prolly do a harness bar to start with just to get them in while I'm deciding on cage designs. These days there are a couple pre bent options for hybrids.

Also looking at axle stretching both ends to make room for D44s. Then I keep asking myself why? Jeep will climb just about anything I point it at. But cant leave it alone. The 37s in the garage aren't going to install themselves.

Over weekend, bled brakes and did some other odds and ends. Swapped trans fluid. Found a leaky lower rad hose, will be here later today. New trans plug ordered. New shock bushings/isolators. Jeeps ready to roll.

Let's find a spot on the calendar to get together. Been too long.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

More progress on the brake stuff. Need to bleed the system some more and then that is hopefully done.

20200217_201727.jpg

So the new brakes work okay. Still feels like there may be air in the system, but I've bled the crap out of the lines. Need to check all the soft lines. Moving at the end of this month so will get back to it after that.

Back