• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HAM Amateur radio license

The Icom is the one of the three that I don't own (well, my Kenwood is the TM-271, but is nearly identical), and I think the Icom will probably be your best bet. The Kenwood and the Yaesu have too many functions buried in menus. It looks like the Icom gives you quicker access, and especially on the mic.

ETA: Regarding an antenna, I am happy with the Diamond NR770*** (asterixes for the various configurations and finishes available). It is a radial-less design, meaning it does not require a ground plane. This gives you more flexibility for mounting on things like a spare tire carrier or above a tail light. You will need to figure out what sort of mount you intend to use before you order an antenna. If you go for a hole in your roof then you probably will want an NMO mount, but if going along the edge of the vehicle then you probably want a PL-259. I think most of what I have seen in mag mounts is also PL-259. However, if you want to run a mag mount you are probably better off selecting an antenna that comes with a mag mount. For an example, I have an MFJ-1729 that is a mag-mount and comes with the base and coax. I don't use it on my mobile setup though, so I can't really give you are recommendation up or down. I got it for hiding transmitters and have only used it once. It was a cheap solution. Mag mounts don't tend to like off road activity.

I would recommend a solid mount. Do some research on your mount before you spring for an antenna.

Last edited:
Gents-

I do know better, but I don't want to spend a ton of money on the gear.

Yaesu and ICOM, et al are surely good- but expensive.

Is there anything like the Bae Fang (don't ask me how to spell it, no speakie Chinessey) radios that are inexpensive and will allow 2m/440 operation in a mobile environment? How about others?

I have a 10m rig, but can't xmit on it as it's out of license for me. I need to get my General.

Gents-

Is there anything like the Bae Fang (don't ask me how to spell it, no speakie Chinessey) radios that are inexpensive and will allow 2m/440 operation in a mobile environment? How about others?

I have a 10m rig, but can't xmit on it as it's out of license for me. I need to get my General.
You can transmit on it with a tech. You have to be in the old Novice portion. 28.0-28.5Mhz 200w PEP. 28.0-28.3 is data and cw. 28.3-28.5 is phone.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Interesting. Has this changed in the last 10 or so years?

Gents-

Yes there are cheap Chicom mobile rigs, TYT is one of them. I'd avoid them.

The issue with the Chicom radios is they are dirty. They tend to transmit on neighboring frequencies as well as your designated one. Since you're only dealing with a five watt radio this isn't a terribly big deal. When you get this on a 50+ watt radio it becomes a serious issue.

On top of that I do own a TYT I was going to use for a temporary remote repeater. It was brand new and I had a lot of very strange issues with it that lead me to believe the transmitter was wondering around on frequency. I have not tested that but I quickly replaced the radio with a Yaesu FT2900R.

Mobile rigs are pretty cheap already, the FT2900R is a 75 watt radio that can be had for about $125 - $150. You can save a little bit of money and get the FT1900R and you have a 55 watt radio (still plenty for most work).

As for the original question as stated I have an FT2900R and love it. I also have an FT1900R that needs repair (may have been damaged by an antenna issue) and an FT8800R. For handhelds I have a Yaesu VX5r and several Baofengs.

I just picked up a Yaesu 5100 for $100. Its been a base station its whole life and in great shape.

Did I do good? I hear they are great radios

I would say so.

I have one that I picked up a swap meet for about the same price with a known burnt out light behind one side of the display. Mine works with everything except for what I wanted it to do: It won't work as a hidden transmitter because it won't key off under a PicCon controller. It is a nice, compact package. I need to either figure out why it won't work with a PicCon or install it in a vehicle.

Isn't that the one that had the reputation of burning up the pa amp if you used it on high power for extended periods?

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Tell me more before i pick it up this weekend
Google reviews for that radio. One of the radios in that series had a reputation for burning out the PA amp if ran on high power too much. Of you leave it on low power it didn't do it. But.....I can't remember which one it was. 5100/5200 wise.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Back