• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CJ d30 Axle Q.

XTrmXJ

NAXJA Forum User
The D30 on the CJs have the pumkin on the right side and have the 5 on 5.5 or 5 on 5 (cant remember)lug pattern.. My Question is basically the axle is identical to a Hi pinion XJ (pumkin on drivers side) D30 but just flipped, Can you take the wheel hub bearing assembly from the XJ D30 5 on 4.5 and bolt it to the CJs D30 axle to change the bolt pattern?

XTrmXJ said:
The D30 on the CJs have the pumkin on the right side and have the 5 on 5.5 or 5 on 5 (cant remember)lug pattern.. My Question is basically the axle is identical to a Hi pinion XJ (pumkin on drivers side) D30 but just flipped, Can you take the wheel hub bearing assembly from the XJ D30 5 on 4.5 and bolt it to the CJs D30 axle to change the bolt pattern?

They are more different than you think. The CJ inner C is a D44 style and is not compatible with the XJ D30 style knuckle. The XJ D30 unit bearing will not mount up to the spindle-style CJ knuckle. Flipping a CJ D30 over will make it run backwards, not magically turn into a XJ HP D30.

Ok on the hub but what about a reverse rotation gearing

You can not "just' flip the housing because the pinion bearing will burn up due to oil starvation. The high pinio and low pinion diffs. oil opposite from each other, the gears turn opposite from each other, BUT, the carriers fit both axles- heh, heh for you junior mad scientists out there, think about it. You can change knuckles to fit, but it is alot of work.

ren said:
You can not "just' flip the housing because the pinion bearing will burn up due to oil starvation. The high pinio and low pinion diffs. oil opposite from each other, the gears turn opposite from each other, BUT, the carriers fit both axles- heh, heh for you junior mad scientists out there, think about it. You can change knuckles to fit, but it is alot of work.

Not only that- but if you don't also flip the rear axle, then when you put it in gear something will break, as the diffs will turn in opposite directions.

After rereading my 1st post, I see I didnt explain the way I wanted... I was meaning to say swapping the gears out and flipping them not flipping the whole axle.. Ive already came to the conclusion that the cuts are reversed anyways even after flipping the gears

Back