• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Burning Oil Smell

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 90 4.0 smells of burning oil when I'm accelerating at higher speeds.(usually freeway speeds) I notice it a lot with the windows down. I do have blowby but not a huge amount. Would this smell be coming from the blowby or something else. The other thing to consider is I have a K&N open filter.
Thanks guys.

CollinM said:
My 90 4.0 smells of burning oil when I'm accelerating at higher speeds.(usually freeway speeds) I notice it a lot with the windows down. I do have blowby but not a huge amount. Would this smell be coming from the blowby or something else. The other thing to consider is I have a K&N open filter.
Thanks guys.

CLimb underneath and look for any additional oils leaks (especially ones that might have splattered onto the exhaust or manifold)

My '90 does the same thing when wheel'n and leaning it to the left side. In my case I think its a leaky valve cover gasket. Might be the same for yours.

Could possibly be a combination of the rear main and the valve cover gasket leaking,and let's not forget the seal around the oil filter :laugh3:

Okay I should have added a couple things. My valve cover is warped badly.(I'm about to upgrade to a 94's that isnt.) My rear main was just replaced about 2 years ago and is still holding. I do have a seal underneath that is leaking but its clearing the exhaust. My guess was the valve cover since it is in front of you when you're driving.(not below you) Also, there is oil floating around at the inlet of my K&N. Not much, but it is there. Any more thoughts? Thanks to those who have responded already.

Back