• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

External alternator regulator

Has anyone switched over to one of these instead of relying on the one in the computer?

I used one for about a month. It did what it was bought to do but I did not like it. It pulsed on-off very fast which was noticeable in the head lights and the radio lights at low RPM. I have the entire unit somewhere in a storeroom.

The reason I bought it was to be able to maintain a constant 14+ volts to the battery which was difficult in my model year XJ which is fitted with a battery temperature sensor which would reduce the voltage between 12.8 and 13.5 on a hot South FL summer.

I used one for about a month. It did what it was bought to do but I did not like it. It pulsed on-off very fast which was noticeable in the head lights and the radio lights at low RPM. I have the entire unit somewhere in a storeroom.

The reason I bought it was to be able to maintain a constant 14+ volts to the battery which was difficult in my model year XJ which is fitted with a battery temperature sensor which would reduce the voltage between 12.8 and 13.5 on a hot South FL summer.

I have this issue too; I get a nice 14v on a cold startup but once it heats up it reduces voltage. I also have a 96; what was your solution? just let it be?

Has anyone switched over to one of these instead of relying on the one in the computer?

Wondering why you would do this ?

Overcharging/overheating the battery is not good for it. The 96-01 PCM regulates battery charging based on the level of charge, and the heat of the battery as it charges.

I think the reason to do this is if that particular feature of the PCM goes south, yet the rest of the PCM continues to operate.

It may not be such a likely solution for an XJ, but it is a very reasonable solution for a 12V Cummins where it seems about the only two useful functions of the PCM are charging and tach.

I have this issue too; I get a nice 14v on a cold startup but once it heats up it reduces voltage. I also have a 96; what was your solution? just let it be?

I removed it and padded the OEM battery temperature sensor to allow a higher voltage.

Wondering why you would do this ?

Overcharging/overheating the battery is not good for it. The 96-01 PCM regulates battery charging based on the level of charge, and the heat of the battery as it charges.

I’m running a higher amp alternator for a winch and accessories. The regulator is known to fail under those conditions. Much easier to repair than to replace the PCM.

I’m running a higher amp alternator for a winch and accessories. The regulator is known to fail under those conditions. Much easier to repair than to replace the PCM.

My XJ have a 180 AMP alternator in an attempt to feed the power hungry (50 AMP) cooling fans since 2006. I have experience no PCM regulator failure over those years. I do see reduced charging after a long run on hot days but seldom less than 13.6 at idle or at cruising speed with AC on and both fans running or all of them off.

14.3 volts is what I was aiming for when I installed the external regulator. A minimum of 14.1 is what I would like to see.

I am trying to figure out if I can use a unused relay space, in my power distribution box, to power my new regulator. It is wired for a air conditioning system that my Jeep does not have.
Powered on with the ignition key, so it would be perfect. It’s also wired to the PCM, so I do not know if that will effect it at all?

I do not know which brand regulator you have but the one I had was from Quick Start which is for Chrysler vehicles. It was powered from its own relay so as to supply a good clean voltage. It did what I wanted it to do i.e. maintained upwards of 14 volts. I did however not like the pulsating effects visible in the lights so I removed it. Something about the way it worked made me uncomfortable. Maybe I had a bad unit. The unit with all its wires is in a box somewhere in the garage taking up valuable space.

Yours may work better than the one I have/had.

A3012 - Relay and Plug Kit, 12V, 5 Terminals, SPDT, Continuous, For Use with External Regulator Kits

View Larger Image
Price: $24.95
Part #: A3012
Quantity:Submit
Add to a new shopping list

Bookmark and Share
Email this page to a friend
A3012 - Relay and Plug Kit, 12V, 5 Terminals, SPDT, Continuous

For: External Regulator Kits when you get un-acpetable pulsation in your charging system

Notes: Contains R3012 Relay and W3012 5 Terminal Plug

Also See: ERCK, ERCKE, ERCKFRM, W210, C8313, W3012, R3012

If you used one of these units, this relay is recommended for that pulsation.
This is the one I purchased.

A3012 - Relay and Plug Kit, 12V, 5 Terminals, SPDT, Continuous, For Use with External Regulator Kits

View Larger Image
Price: $24.95
Part #: A3012
Quantity:Submit
Add to a new shopping list

Bookmark and Share
Email this page to a friend
A3012 - Relay and Plug Kit, 12V, 5 Terminals, SPDT, Continuous

For: External Regulator Kits when you get un-acpetable pulsation in your charging system

Notes: Contains R3012 Relay and W3012 5 Terminal Plug

Also See: ERCK, ERCKE, ERCKFRM, W210, C8313, W3012, R3012

If you used one of these units, this relay is recommended for that pulsation.
This is the one I purchased.

Nice to know.

Thank you.

Back