• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'85 NP229 Select Trac front output spline?

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
My '85 XJ has the NP229 Selec Trac. My front driveshaft has the CV joint with the rubber boot on the transfer case side. The CV is shot, I want to replace it with a normal-style universal. My Jeep guy told me the front TC yoke is 27 spline. Is this right? Has anyone else swapped out a CV type driveshaft for a normal one? HELP!

I am not sure about the 229, but the front output shaft on the tansfercase should be 26 spline much like the pinion on most D30 or D44 axles.. You might want to pull it off and count the spines in the flange... If it is then your set just get a yoke off a d30 or d44...

Clean-RC said:
the yoke should have 1 1/8" nut holding it to the output shaft, and once the nut is removed it should just slide off. count the spines on the shaft or the yoke.
Ok that wasn't too bad, the weirdo CV is totally shot. The 1 1/8" nut was pretty damn tight, but I got it. 32 splines! All my options as far as the driveshaft swap are 27 splines, right? From a 231? Not sure what to do here. I hate to have this driveshaft rebuilt for $150-200 and have it get torn up again half way throught summer. HELP ME! I want to swap to something better. Or should I swap entire case from the 229 to the 231?

barillms said:
Can anyone tell me what front output spline count their 229 has? Or, if anyone has a 229 or heard of one with 27 splines opposed to 32?

I just took my rear tranfer case yoke off and counted 32 splines. I would assume that is the same for the front. So my 229 tranfer case is 32 spline also. As far as knowing about other spline counts on these I don't know and have been looking. I will update if I find anything.

Kim.

85xjwoody said:
I just took my rear tranfer case yoke off and counted 32 splines. I would assume that is the same for the front. So my 229 tranfer case is 32 spline also. <SNIP>

Well then,, why can't a rear output yoke be used on the front? A custom shaft doesn't cost as much as a replacement shaft for these Cherokees.

If this will work it would solve a buncha' problems, wouldn't it?

Tom Woods has a replacement yoke to convert to a double cardan drive shaft for $90.00. This yoke fits the front output shaft. All you need is a driveshaft from another XJ. Get it cut to length at a shop and you're good to go.

Back