• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Evil Cookies...

Gil BullyKatz

NAXJA Forum User
Colorado Teens Fined for Giving Cookies to Neighbor

Fri Feb 4,10:49 PM ET Oddly Enough - Reuters

DURANGO, Colo. (Reuters) - A Colorado judge ordered two teen-age girls to pay about $900 for the distress a neighbor said they caused by giving her home-made cookies adorned with paper hearts.

The pair were ordered to pay $871.70 plus $39 in court costs after neighbor Wanita Renea Young, 49, filed a lawsuit complaining that the unsolicited cookies, left at her house after the girls knocked on her door, had triggered an anxiety attack that sent her to the hospital the next day.

Taylor Ostergaard, then 17, and Lindsey Jo Zellitte, 18, paid the judgment on Thursday after a small claims court ruling by La Plata County Court Judge Doug Walker, a court clerk said on Friday.

The girls baked cookies as a surprise for several of their rural Colorado neighbors on July 31 and dropped off small batches on their porches, accompanied by red or pink paper hearts and the message: "Have a great night."

The Denver Post newspaper reported on Friday that the girls had decided to stay home and bake the cookies rather than go to a dance where there might be cursing and drinking.

It reported that six neighbors wrote letters entered as evidence in the case thanking the girls for the cookies.

But Young said she was frightened because the two had knocked on her door at about 10:30 p.m. and run off after leaving the cookies.

She went to a hospital emergency room the next day, fearing that she had suffered a heart attack, court records said.

The judge awarded Young her medical costs, but did not award punitive damages. He said he did not think the girls had acted maliciously but that 10:30 was fairly late at night for them to be out.

I hope someone writes that c-bag a nice message, in Roundup herbicide, on her front lawn.
She wanted punitive damages, as well.
'Wow, I cut my tongue on this Sunkist can, I wonder how much I can sue for?'
These people should be boiled in oil, staked to an anthill, or fed to pigs.
My $.02
:hang:

From my point of view I would not take any food from someone I did not know. Back in the late 60's and early 70's my parents would have dunkin donut muchkins and hot apple cider for the trick or treaters. We stopped doing this around 79 or so after a lawyer friend warned us that it was a bad idea. In fact he recommended that we use sealed candy like small milkyways and such and to not touch them at all and to dump them out of their bag, putting them in the big bowl and instead let the kids select their own candy. He said that way there are none of your fingerprints on the wrappers but the kids and whoever else handled them.
I've drilled into my kids not to leave their drinks or food unattended and not to take an opened bottle or can of whatever from someone unless they trust them with their lives, not in this day an age when people think its funny to spike one with something.
As for that woman, she sounds a little wacked out to me as demonstrated by the over reaction of a freaken hospital trip and then persuing a court thing, sounds to me like she was aiming for enough cash for a winter cruise, gimme a break.

that woman must be evil. i agree about not wanting to eat strange cookies on your porch but still, just throw em away and maybe even thank the girl. and to sue for punitive, wtf is wrong with this lady

Thats BS!

First off, two ways to have an anxiety attack.

1. Neighbor must have been in such an uptight, and already stressed out mode, that the cookies were the straw. The cookies and the door knocking couldnt have caused the attack alone.

2. Neighbor could have had anxiety disorder. Again, her case is BS because something as simple as turning on a light can cause an attack because her brain chemistry is whack.

Either way, the case was BS, and the judge ought to be removed from the bench and the lawyer that took the neighbor's case ought to be removed from the BAR and have his left nut put in a set of vise grips.

Fergie

Fergie said:
Thats BS!

First off, two ways to have an anxiety attack.

1. Neighbor must have been in such an uptight, and already stressed out mode, that the cookies were the straw. The cookies and the door knocking couldnt have caused the attack alone.

2. Neighbor could have had anxiety disorder. Again, her case is BS because something as simple as turning on a light can cause an attack because her brain chemistry is whack.

Either way, the case was BS, and the judge ought to be removed from the bench and the lawyer that took the neighbor's case ought to be removed from the BAR and have his left nut put in a set of vise grips.

Fergie
i definetly agree, but just curious as to why the left one

Ramsey said:
i definetly agree, but just curious as to why the left one

It's the easiest one to abuse, torture, remove, etc. due to it's common tendency to hang lower than the right...

results may vary

:D

Life is traumatizing.

In the US, it's due to someone elses actions.

You cannot be held resposible for your life or your actions.

Now get out and be American... SUE!

--ron

PS: Small Claims : Instant Gratification

bgcntry72 said:
I hope someone writes that c-bag a nice message, in Roundup herbicide, on her front lawn.
She wanted punitive damages, as well.
'Wow, I cut my tongue on this Sunkist can, I wonder how much I can sue for?'
These people should be boiled in oil, staked to an anthill, or fed to pigs.
My $.02
:hang:
x2.

This has been all over the radio stations here. They raised $3000 for the girls.

Gil BullyKatz said:
It's the easiest one to abuse, torture, remove, etc. due to it's common tendency to hang lower than the right...

results may vary

:D
One of things I appreciate the most about NAXJA, I'm always learning new things. What makes me curious is how you came up with this information? How many nut sacks did you personally survey to make this determination?

Ralph said:
One of things I appreciate the most about NAXJA, I'm always learning new things. What makes me curious is how you came up with this information? How many nut sacks did you personally survey to make this determination?

Anatomy 101
School of the Americas
Ft Benning GA

;)

Ask all your male friends... It's kinda similar to women never having perfectly equal sized/shaped breasts...

Back