• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Evil Shackle Bolts

Flyfisher

NAXJA Forum User
Putting a Teraflex greasable rear leaf spring shackle in my '88 XJ today. It's currently soaking in PB Blaster. My question is does the shackle-to-body bolt have a nut behind it that needs to be accessed to remove the bolt? I know the front spring-to-body bolt has a "blind nut" that is welded to the body (it was also evil when I did my new springs for the lift)...just wondering about the rear one.

If the nut needs to be accessed for removal...how do I get to it? Guy at the tire store suggested removing the carpet/floor in the rear!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I just put 1.5" Teraflex shackles on a couple of weeks ago. That bolt came out pretty easy. Just have to relieve the tension on the spring with a floor jack.

Thanks for confirming "no nut" to wrench on. Got 'er done today...just a lot of PB Blaster...soaking...more PB, then a cheater bar on the wrench. Went back in easy though...after giving the "evil bolt" a good cleaning and light lube.

The 1.5" shackle lift leveled the jeep nicely. I think the rear springs of my 3" Skyjacker lift (new leafs, not AAL's) had sagged a little or sagged due th the fact that I carry about 50 lbs of gear and a 31" spare and high lift jack back there.

All's well than ends well!

Back