• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another front end rattle/grind noise question

whatevah

It's Yellah!
I searched, but couldn't come up with anything...

I've got an annoying grinding/grating/rattle noise from somewhere in the front end between 5-15 mph. It happens braking and accelerating, in gear and/or neutral. It produces a vibration, too. It gets worse if I turn the steering wheel a couple degrees to either side, and almost goes away if I turn the wheel further. The sound seems to be coming from the drivers side, but... So far, I've replaced the rotors, pads, both hubs and the drivers side ujoint and it hasn't changed. You can hear the noise outside the Jeep, too... which makes me do those annoying ricer weaves approaching redlights if I see that somebody has an open window. *sigh*

I don't know what to try next. I guess I'll try replacing the passenger side ujoint, but it seems to be coming from the drivers side. The pass side seemed fine, I did a movement check when I replaced the brakes, and then the hubs 2 weeks later. Only had binding issues from the drivers ujoint. I'm getting tired of pulling axle shafts.

Any worthwile suggestions would be greatly appreciated, this is driving me crazy.

Last edited:
i had something like that happen when my driver side motor mount went out.......i mean it was lik gone, no rubber at all and what was happenng was the front driveshaft was rubbing on the exhaust.....but only when i was accelerating or turning

new motor mounts... front driveshaft is currently removed.

I have exactly what you have described! I have replaced both bearings and every u-joint in the drivetrain, serviced the brakes, and tightened everything and no change. It is at times worse and at times gone, but always at slow speeds. Please keep me posted, or PM me if you find something and I will do the same for you if I find a solution. My original post on this issue: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=955007

is yours a "tick" or a "grind" noise? aside from terminology, sounds like you've done the same stuff. It's a weird long shot, but I'm gonna try rotating the tires. A guy at work suggested it, and I don't have anything to lose by trying. I'm thinking maybe something is messed up enough that at slow speeds, it pushes the axle to the side and messes with a slightly loose lower trackbar mount and the noise is coming into the drivers side via the upper trackbar mount?

umm... this is interesting. I didn't rotate the tires, but I did get a set of stock tires and wheels to run while I mount/dismount two sets of tires/wheels. The above problems are completely gone. Alrighty then... I did notice that the front trackbar is a *little* loose, so perhaps the old tires were forcing the trackbar side to side. I dunno... For now, problem "solved".

Back