• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np242 rebuild kit recommendations

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
hello all,

What kits are you using for rebuilds/or what parts would you recommend?

the case is stock and ill be replacing a trans seal, seems smart to replace at least the chain.

all ears,

thank you

Pump oring and seal
All fork pads
Shift rod bushings
I sourced all my parts from ebay and Amazon
Also, save some headaches and get a decent set of LOCK ring pliers if you dont already have some.

Yes those are the lock ring pliers you would need. Novak is probably your best source for American parts.

Make sure you get a kit with good bearings. Might as well do the chain IMO while you are in there.

I went with the NOVAK kit w/chain. It wasn't cheap but I don't want to rebuild it for another 100-200k miles if I can help it. This was on a NP231. The linked snap ring pliers are good to have, required IMO.

Novak kit comes with Japanese bearings.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/transfer-case-parts/np-242-parts/

Last edited:
the chain was the main priority for replacing. otherwise everything feels pretty tight, but hell if im cracking it open everything should get replaced.

i did notice the all the novak bearings are open, as opposed to some kits with a certain sealed bearing which isnt ideal.

as for the lock pliers it looks like theres two kinds, one with paddles that extend out from the nose end, and others that are just a point. does it matter what kind?

paddles will make getting the lock rings out easier. I'm not sure what you mean with other kits with a sealed bearing or bearings? Not sure how that would work in a t-case where the bearings are taking a shower in ATF all the time. They would need to be a ball bearing without a seal.

paddles will make getting the lock rings out easier. I'm not sure what you mean with other kits with a sealed bearing or bearings? Not sure how that would work in a t-case where the bearings are taking a shower in ATF all the time. They would need to be a ball bearing without a seal.

correct, there are however some kits/a kit with one bearing that is sealed or covered, thus not allowing it to be lubricated as oem.

Back