• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition won’t cycle far enough to engage starter...

Cgny518

NAXJA Forum User
Bought a nicely done up 97 XJ. Only thing I don’t like is I can only start it with the remote starter right now. Previous owner just ran it that way also but I don’t like the idea that I’d be screwed if the remote broke or malfunctions (I bought a spare). So when I put the key in the ignition it cycles but not far enough to engage the starter. Looking for advice on What I Can do to fix this other than getting a replacement ?

Bought a nicely done up 97 XJ. Only thing I don’t like is I can only start it with the remote starter right now. Previous owner just ran it that way also but I don’t like the idea that I’d be screwed if the remote broke or malfunctions (I bought a spare). So when I put the key in the ignition it cycles but not far enough to engage the starter. Looking for advice on What I Can do to fix this other than getting a replacement ?

Two things could be restricting the key rotation, either a bad lock cylinder or a bad ignition switch.
Pull the key lock and see if the removed cylinder rotates the full amount, if not try cleaning and lubing it or, if that fails, replace it.
If the key cylinder rotates the full distance, the ignition switch may be bad. You might be able to use needle nose pliers to rotate the ignition switch's tab to the start position without removing it.
You may need to remove the ignition switch first. Don't know, I have never tried. Either way, the switch needs to be tested.
How to replace the key lock and ignition switch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reonxApWkVU

Back