• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4" springs ... currie/jeepspeed?

RobertF said:
On the 3" or 4" problem.
I have a set of the Currie Sportsman leafs. They are not on the XJ yet as I am working on changing gears.
What I can tell you is that where my 100k+ 94 leafs are 49.25" eye to eye, unladen (practicaly flat, can't get any longer) and my RE 4.5 leafs are 48" eye to eye, unladen. The Currie Sportsman leafs are 50.25" eye to eye, unladen, and without the boomerang shackle, will bind the stock shackle at this unladen length, and heaven help you if you were to try and compress some of the arch out of them, making them longer still! So this 3" leaf (if thats what Deaver is claiming) pretty much has to be run with the boomerang shackle that gives it another inch, therefore, 4" leaf kit, with shackles.
I'll be able to tell you more when they are mounted and broken in, just observations at this time.
BINGO! Dude, you are Right on the Money! I finally took the plunge, and ordered up some Currie/Deaver springs. They came this week, and went on last night! The shackle is sitting against the "frame" so to speak. They are pushed way back. So...no compression in my rearsuspension until I get me some Boomerang shackle! Measured before and after, I got nearly exactly 3 inches as it sits. And, get this....no vibrations up to 65 so far! Go figure. I'm gonna but on those shackles, and it'll likely shake me apart! I'm very impressed with the leaf packs though. I think they may actually hold up for quite a few miles! :wave:

BACK FROM THE DEAD.....

Ok well have to post just so that its known. As currie isnt aware as of right now, and or willing to either change the product or the discription...

The listed rear leafs on the currie site are infact by Deaver. They are IN FACT a 3" lift over stock alone, with no added shackles. With a 1" shackle they would be (yep you guessed it) 4" lift over stock.

They are a GREAT!!!!! 3" lift leaf though! Very flexable and ride outragous! 10" of true travel, maybe 11" under the best odds.

But dont expect more then 3" from them!

Would I ever buy them, HELL yes if I only wanted 3"! Scott at deaver is a Great guy representing a great company!

Would I every buy them for 4" of spring hieght added, been there done that.. Nope...

Just posting, again, to make sure this info is out there...

This is with the Currie/Deaver sportsman leaf packs and the fuel cell is bone dry still. It's not done so I haven't run them yet but the photo can help give people an idea of how much lift they give. I also have the JKS boomerang lift shackles installed so it should be 4" of lift? I am worried that when I get done and fill the tank and they get broken in they'll sag more than I want,. It sits perfect right now.

I've also been very pleased with the Deaver springs. They are holding up well. I've also only got 3 inches out of them, even with the JKS shackle, due mostly to all the weight I've got on my rear end- bumper/tire/gas tank skid. Here are some pics of the current droop situation. The compression is limited by my bump stops to protect shocks/tires!
FallforAll06010.jpg

FallforAll06006.jpg

FallforAll06014.jpg

FallforAll06007.jpg

That is with 265/75/16's (32's), long RS9000's, and DPG's bumpstops.

Snarky said:
Thanks for the updates, I remember reading this back in 2005. Nice to know those springs are working out for you. I think i might copy your lift setup ChuckstrPT :D
You're welcome to it! It's been a long time in the making, and I'm just now getting into so serious "medium" level trails to test. If you've got questions, ask away, I'll give you my opinion/experience. It's working well right now, as it sits. I can't get a bigger tire under the rear without further cutting, and installing the TJ flares I've got in my garage, and I'd like to move up to 285/75/16s (33x11.00) with the next set (hopefully regearing and locking before that time comes!). I think I will eventually move up to a 4-4.5 inch lift, specially if/when I add a winch up front. I think if you only want 31's, this set up would work well. But I'd get different shocks. I measured, and purchased longer than needed shocks to maximize droop, and figuring that I'd already need bumpstops to protect the tires I was planning on. So, I'm short some compression. This doesn't appear to have hurt the on road ride any.
Have Fun!

PS. that little obstacle did end on the end of a strap....
FallforAll06017.jpg

So, chuck did you get the (advertised) 3" from Currie, or did you go straight to Deaver for there true 3"? I am currently sitting at 3", but would like to go 4-4.5" in time. Do you feal comfortable recomending the Deaver springs for what I'm going for, or do you thing they might be to short? I am planning on havig a bumper/ tire carrer set up like yours in the end.

Anyone else, I am open to recomendations on this. I'm current runnin Explorer ProComp coils that are advertised to have 3" of lift, and a spring rate of 230lbs/in. I plan on keeping the coils (I like the way they ride), and using a spacer to get closer to 4.5" My current leafs are shot (main leaf is Sed), and would like to replace them with somthing that will keep me at 3" now, but cheeply be able to upgraid to 4.5" in time. I have thought of doing a bastard pack set up now, and then go to new spring when I go higher.

scoobyxj said:
So, chuck did you get the (advertised) 3" from Currie, or did you go straight to Deaver for there true 3"? I am currently sitting at 3", but would like to go 4-4.5" in time. Do you feal comfortable recomending the Deaver springs for what I'm going for, or do you thing they might be to short? I am planning on havig a bumper/ tire carrer set up like yours in the end.

Anyone else, I am open to recomendations on this. I'm current runnin Explorer ProComp coils that are advertised to have 3" of lift, and a spring rate of 230lbs/in. I plan on keeping the coils (I like the way they ride), and using a spacer to get closer to 4.5" My current leafs are shot (main leaf is Sed), and would like to replace them with somthing that will keep me at 3" now, but cheeply be able to upgraid to 4.5" in time. I have thought of doing a bastard pack set up now, and then go to new spring when I go higher.
I've been running Deaver "G9" springs since earlier this year and love them. I got it set up with tnt 5" shackles and 1" blocks and ride at about 5.5". With my bilsteins which are valved at 255/70, they're perfect for me.
You have to run longer shackles with those springs. They're too long to use stock shackles. So with longer shackles and the G9 springs you'll be at around 4-4.5" depending on how much stuff you carry.

Kyung

Re: 4&qunt; rwrings þ/. currie/jdepspned>

MMIXJ said:
I agree, they sound very nice-- but I found out (from Deaver) that despite being advertised as 4" on the Currie website, that they are only a 3" spring... too short for me. I was told custom springs start at $800 --and though I'm sure they're "worth it"-- that's too much coin for me at this time. ;)

Agreed. If money was no object, I'd have a set of custom Deavers made up for my rig tomorrow. But until that day, my BORs will suffice................:thumbup:

scoobyxj said:
I believe I bought them right off the Currie web site http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/product.aspx?id=1271 and got 3 inches including my JKS boomerang shackles....But remember, I've got a heavy rear end...I have no doubt removing my rear bumper/tire carrier/gas tank skid would yeild atleast another inch. But I'm not, so I got 3 inhces. They do seem to be holding up well, to both heavy foot street driving (I'm usually in a hurry) and some trail twisting. I'd recommend them. But not if you need 4 inches, with my heavy rear end. As was mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I think I'm going to BOR 4 inch packs when I need more lift. These Deaver/Currie springs to seem to be a quality piece, and I've had some experience with leaves on other trucks. I've been impressed they've held up this well in a spring over configuration.

Currie springs are deaver springs, Rusty's makes a set of 4" Jeepspeed leaf's. I here that there not to bad and more affordable than the other's

Back