• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone diy reupholster their seats?

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
99 and my left butt check has caused the famous cherokee broken seat cushion, crack in the casing. Its on every seat ive seen on CL or the JY.

So im inclined to ask if anyone has ever redone the foam and covers of their seats?

cant be nearly as hard as half the stuff we all do to these rigs right!

btw ide love a mastercraft /corbeau seat, but damn 500$ a seat lol, sheeeeet.

I had a local auto upholsterer redo the foam. Results were okay, better than the failed foam but not OEM. In particular the bucket-ness wasn't really restored. i had no cracks in my seat or tears in the fabric but I feel like a better guy might have done a better job.

I'm not too keen on the aftermarket options, they run to either the racing/offroad set or the not-quite-OEM in terms of functionality or appearance side of the coin.

I looked at having a shop reupholster my seats a few years ago. It was not something I wanted to tackle myself. I also consider covers. The cost of reupholstering was higher than I wanted to go. There are some good covers you can put on yourself but a lot comes down to how well you install them. The shop would have installed cover but even that was expensive.

I wasn't concerned about originality so I simply replaced my seats with ones from an auto wrecker. I've done this on 3 Jeeps and the best price I've paid was $70 for a pair of leather seats in excellent condition. In each case I went with Hyundai Tiburan seats. I made simple flat bar brackets and used grade 8 hardware.

I installed seat heaters in my LJ last fall. It was very straight forward and didn't even require fully taking the covers off. They've great this winter.

picture.php

This is from my LJ but the ones I made for my XJ were virtually the same. For my XJ I used the Tiburon seat sliders.

picture.php

When I did my Corbeau's I used the factory adjuster and I needed "tilt" because of a 95 2dr.
FH000009_zpsvotaxyax.jpg

FH000016_zpsade4tqca.jpg

Coincidentally mine above was a '95 2 dr. as well. When I was searching for junk yard seats I pretty much limited it to sports cars so the seat back would tilt forward. There were plenty of nice seats from 4 dr. cars but they wouldn't have worked.

I looked at having a shop reupholster my seats a few years ago. It was not something I wanted to tackle myself. I also consider covers. The cost of reupholstering was higher than I wanted to go. There are some good covers you can put on yourself but a lot comes down to how well you install them. The shop would have installed cover but even that was expensive.

I wasn't concerned about originality so I simply replaced my seats with ones from an auto wrecker. I've done this on 3 Jeeps and the best price I've paid was $70 for a pair of leather seats in excellent condition. In each case I went with Hyundai Tiburan seats. I made simple flat bar brackets and used grade 8 hardware.

I installed seat heaters in my LJ last fall. It was very straight forward and didn't even require fully taking the covers off. They've great this winter.

picture.php

This is from my LJ but the ones I made for my XJ were virtually the same. For my XJ I used the Tiburon seat sliders.

picture.php

those are pretty nice, what years do you find them in?

I dont mind covers, my biggest concern is restoring the foam/support of the seat cushion.

those are pretty nice, what years do you find them in?

I dont mind covers, my biggest concern is restoring the foam/support of the seat cushion.

The ones I've used are in the 2002-2004 range. I'm pretty sure other years of Tiburons work too though. I've seen them in leather and fabric and in a few colours for the centre sections. Some also have seat heaters but I haven't come across any. I installed kits from Dorman and they work great.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002U6IL9O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back