NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Sierra Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Sierra Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Old May 12th, 2020, 12:29
NAXJA Member

Re: Gorrilla la Dos

Looks awesome dude

1998 4.6 stroker , aw4 XJ on 60/14b , 5.38s, grizzly/detroit, cage, 40s, psc big bore box , assist, 3 link,transgo aw4 reprogram
Old September 26th, 2020, 19:51
NAXJA Member

Gorrilla la Dos

Well i finally finished the passenger side tip to butt. Welding to sheetmetal is demoralizing. Dont look to close. Its not pretty but its solid.

Just need to to the rears on the driver side still. Then ill be bouncing to one of my flip jeeps to learn how to do rockers. Haha. Then they will be going on this as mini boatsides.
Old September 27th, 2020, 00:07
NAXJA Member

I dig it

1998 4.6 stroker , aw4 XJ on 60/14b , 5.38s, grizzly/detroit, cage, 40s, psc big bore box , assist, 3 link,transgo aw4 reprogram
Old September 27th, 2020, 10:34
NAXJA Member

Looks good from here!
I'd like to see how your mini boatsides turn out.
I did mini boatsides with UHMW sheet right before SierraFest. Thought for sure they would get all banged up but ended up with not one scratch on 'em...obviously wasn't wheeling hard enough, haha.
Old September 27th, 2020, 16:19
NAXJA Member

Gorrilla la Dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdspearo View Post
Looks good from here!
I'd like to see how your mini boatsides turn out.
I did mini boatsides with UHMW sheet right before SierraFest. Thought for sure they would get all banged up but ended up with not one scratch on 'em...obviously wasn't wheeling hard enough, haha.

You need more smasho. Haha.
Old September 27th, 2020, 16:30
NAXJA Forum User

Gorrilla la Dos

Do you know what amperage you池e welding with? I have some stiffners I am dreading welding on just due to the thin sheet metal body and all my practice is on much thicker stuff.
Old September 27th, 2020, 18:12
NAXJA Member

Gorrilla la Dos

Im using a 180amp lincoln. .030 inner shield. Im getting better and better at it. I just tend to rush and not get things as clean as they should be. Also there are some really tight spots and i cant get a good angle with the nozzle so it just spits everywhere. It gets frustrating.

Im finishing up the rear driver today. For anyone wondering, it took me about 8 hours per side front to back.
Old September 27th, 2020, 20:38
NAXJA Member

Gorrilla la Dos

Ok its official. The stiffeners are fully done.

Fitment on this side was a bit off. Had to do quite a bit of reshaping to get it to fit flat.

I have some more work to do in the shackle box area as i have no lift relocators. But somehow misplaced them. I have to track them down. Then install the bumper mount reinforcement tie in units. That will all be done after the rockers/mini boatsides are done though. I have a flip jeep to build out. Then going to jump back on this.
Old September 29th, 2020, 05:26
NAXJA Forum User

Gorrilla la Dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordoSmasho View Post
Im using a 180amp lincoln. .030 inner shield. Im getting better and better at it. I just tend to rush and not get things as clean as they should be. Also there are some really tight spots and i cant get a good angle with the nozzle so it just spits everywhere. It gets frustrating.

Im finishing up the rear driver today. For anyone wondering, it took me about 8 hours per side front to back.

Those must have been some long days. 8 hours a side is what I thought it would take me so I知 going to play 10 each side. Is it mostly because of repositioning and cooking, or is there just that much welding?
Old September 29th, 2020, 21:07
NAXJA Member

Gorrilla la Dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Mock View Post
Those must have been some long days. 8 hours a side is what I thought it would take me so I知 going to play 10 each side. Is it mostly because of repositioning and cooking, or is there just that much welding?

Its mostly the welding. Might not be as bad if your using bottle. But im using inner shield. It smokes alot. And it just gets to you. Usually need to take about three breaks per section. Then cleaning after. And grinding stuff smooth. Then paint. Then re assemble anything you had to take apart to access everything. I also added all the extra mounting points in the mid stiffeners. That took about 3 hours on its own.
Old October 1st, 2020, 06:44
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordoSmasho View Post
Its mostly the welding. Might not be as bad if your using bottle. But im using inner shield. It smokes alot. And it just gets to you. Usually need to take about three breaks per section. Then cleaning after. And grinding stuff smooth. Then paint. Then re assemble anything you had to take apart to access everything. I also added all the extra mounting points in the mid stiffeners. That took about 3 hours on its own.
Yeah I知 not expecting it to be speed work. Just good to know it痴 an entire day for one side. I値l be learning how to weld as I go too so that should slow me down some more. I知 sure the grinding and painting takes just as long as welding.
Old October 1st, 2020, 08:20
NAXJA Member

If you are learning how to weld as you go, delay working on your Jeep for a while. Practice on something that doesn't matter if you screw up. Get some beat up panels from any car from a junkyard and some thicker scrap steel if you intend to weld thick steel to thin sheet steel. With old panels you will have to clean them in the areas you want to weld and you will experience paint burn.

Buy some good safety equipment. Proper welding gauntlets, even cheap ones stop you burning your hands and let you achieve more control by getting closer to the workpiece.

I have a cheap suede welding jacket now but I have had plenty of blobs of hot metal burn through clothing into my skin in the past. A second hand leather jacket that is not fit to be seen in is a good alternative.

An auto darkening mask is essential if you don't want to be blind in your later years.

I have various battery powered magnetic LED lamps and some old desk lamps for workpiece illumination that I struggled without for a long time before trying it.

Stuff that you don't want to burn will burn quicker than you think. Have a fire extinguisher ready.

If you can find someone experienced in welding that can teach you how, go for it.

I am not a professional welder, but I had proper training when I was an apprentice. I don't weld often and it takes me half an hour of practice welding on scrap to get all my settings and technique perfect before I start welding on my Jeep.
Old October 1st, 2020, 16:57
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
If you are learning how to weld as you go, delay working on your Jeep for a while. Practice on something that doesn't matter if you screw up. Get some beat up panels from any car from a junkyard and some thicker scrap steel if you intend to weld thick steel to thin sheet steel. With old panels you will have to clean them in the areas you want to weld and you will experience paint burn.

Buy some good safety equipment. Proper welding gauntlets, even cheap ones stop you burning your hands and let you achieve more control by getting closer to the workpiece.

I have a cheap suede welding jacket now but I have had plenty of blobs of hot metal burn through clothing into my skin in the past. A second hand leather jacket that is not fit to be seen in is a good alternative.

An auto darkening mask is essential if you don't want to be blind in your later years.

I have various battery powered magnetic LED lamps and some old desk lamps for workpiece illumination that I struggled without for a long time before trying it.

Stuff that you don't want to burn will burn quicker than you think. Have a fire extinguisher ready.

If you can find someone experienced in welding that can teach you how, go for it.

I am not a professional welder, but I had proper training when I was an apprentice. I don't weld often and it takes me half an hour of practice welding on scrap to get all my settings and technique perfect before I start welding on my Jeep.
I have all the equipment. It's the experience I don't have.
Old September 7th, 2021, 18:26
NAXJA Member

Gorrilla la Dos

Finally. The cage is on the way. Once im not bed ridden its gonna be time to get this ball rollin.

Last edited by GordoSmasho; September 16th, 2021 at 10:28.
Old September 7th, 2021, 20:14
NAXJA Member

Sick !