NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Sierra Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Sierra Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Old March 11th, 2020, 00:09
NAXJA Member

White Girl

Ok so new overland capable crawler family hauler build. Picked up this 97 4 door auto with 212k on the clock for 1800$. It was making an awful clatter but found out the tc bolts were loose and now it runs smoother than my main rig. Very little valve-train noise. Its fairly clean but needs some better seats and some minor interior tlc.

3” skyjacker all spring lift on it. And new 31” wrangler tires.

I think this was a sheriff vehicle. It has a pillar search light mounts. I will be finding lights for them. Also has wiring for a jumper cable hookup on the bumper.

Plans will be stiffeners and armor. 4.5” lift and 33s. Then ill be running a selectable rear locker and auto locker up front. Then 4.88 and chromos. Planning to build it out for camping with a roof rack and maybe a roof top tent. I already have a currie steering setup for it.

Going to be running stinky fab aluminum arms and tnt trackbar and mount. Metal cloak coils and ome leafs. Still nailing down a few other details but i have a budget in place and am checking things off the list already.
Old March 12th, 2020, 06:18
NAXJA Member

Re: White Girl

The basic xj lift size/tire combo for the basic White Girl. Haha. Nice
92 MJ AW4 2wd, 97 mirrors. Future 4wd swap, 242, MJ 44, Eliminator Roll bar, Bucket seats, 97+ console
Old March 12th, 2020, 08:31
NAXJA Member

White Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose_XJ88 View Post
The basic xj lift size/tire combo for the basic White Girl. Haha. Nice

Exactly my thoughts. Haha
Old June 2nd, 2021, 18:43
NAXJA Member

White Girl

Alrighty so a little update on this unit.

I acquired an arb from ryan. Its the one that came apart last year on the granite slabs in to buck on sierra fest last year. It will be going into this unit and needed a rebuild. The common failure of this 15+ year old locker style is the three piece design and the bolts that hold it together. They have clips to keep the bolts from backing out. But they seem to fail regularly. And the bolts back out and the locker falls apart.

So i decided i would engineer a bit and come up with a better solution than this stupid clips. I found some new bolts and drilled them for safety wire. I dont think they will be backing out again. After a thorough cleaning its ready for install. Coming soon.

Old June 3rd, 2021, 11:33
NAXJA Member

Rad!

1998 4.6 stroker , aw4 XJ on 60/14b , 5.38s, grizzly/detroit, cage, 40s, psc big bore box , assist, 3 link,transgo aw4 reprogram
Old June 4th, 2021, 09:16
NAXJA Forum User

Great Fix......
Old June 4th, 2021, 09:21
Degenerate Jeeper

Location: Somewhere between Los Angeles, CA, and Duck River, TN, for now
White Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordoSmasho View Post
Alrighty so a little update on this unit.

I acquired an arb from ryan. Its the one that came apart last year on the granite slabs in to buck on sierra fest last year. It will be going into this unit and needed a rebuild. The common failure of this 15+ year old locker style is the three piece design and the bolts that hold it together. They have clips to keep the bolts from backing out. But they seem to fail regularly. And the bolts back out and the locker falls apart.

So i decided i would engineer a bit and come up with a better solution than this stupid clips. I found some new bolts and drilled them for safety wire. I dont think they will be backing out again. After a thorough cleaning its ready for install. Coming soon.
I like your solution.

I had the same thing happen to my Ox at last year’s Sierra Fest, but didn’t realize it until recently when I pulled the diff cover to replace a leaky axle seal. I haven’t fixed the locker yet, but I’ll think about trying something along your lines when I get to it.
Old June 4th, 2021, 12:46
NAXJA Member

White Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
I like your solution.

I had the same thing happen to my Ox at last year’s Sierra Fest, but didn’t realize it until recently when I pulled the diff cover to replace a leaky axle seal. I haven’t fixed the locker yet, but I’ll think about trying something along your lines when I get to it.

How old was the locker? This one is over 20yrs
Old June 4th, 2021, 13:02
Degenerate Jeeper

Location: Somewhere between Los Angeles, CA, and Duck River, TN, for now

The locker was initially installed by the PO, which makes it at least 13 years old. But when I re-geared in 2015, I had the gear guy replace the carrier case (going from part number OXD30-07-355 to OXD30-07) to accommodate the new gear ratio. So the locker was taken apart and reassembled then. In retrospect, obviously I could have and should have done that part of the job myself, though I'm not saying that it would have prevented the failure. Hell, it probably would have failed sooner.
Old June 27th, 2021, 17:23
NAXJA Member

White Girl

Scored a set of practically new 33” mtrks for $400 mounted and balanced. So they went on today. Just to get some motivation going. The front axle is ready to be build. Im ordering new metal cloak front coils and the suspension will be ready to go in. Stiffeners will be going on before that though.

Old August 24th, 2021, 15:38
NAXJA Member

White Girl

So Allise experienced her first deathwobble so it was time to address a few things. Got a whole gang of parts out but realized i couldnt do most of it till i got longer shocks. So they are on their way. I did a bunch of trimming and swapped in the new RE1660 trackbar mount and brace. Next round will be disconnects, upper control arms, driver tierod flip and currie steering and 4.5 metal cloak springs and brakelines.

We also put in 2” wheel spacers in front and 1.5” in the rear. In the last pic you can see some booger repairs that someone had done. We will be taking that all out when we do stiffeners and bumper.
Old August 24th, 2021, 15:49
NAXJA Member

death wobble sucks. 99% of the time its all trackbar related so good job.

1998 4.6 stroker , aw4 XJ on 60/14b , 5.38s, grizzly/detroit, cage, 40s, psc big bore box , assist, 3 link,transgo aw4 reprogram
Old August 24th, 2021, 17:07
NAXJA Forum User

White Girl

Perfect time to do front frame stiffeners…
Old August 24th, 2021, 17:45
NAXJA Member

White Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Mock View Post
Perfect time to do front frame stiffeners…

Yeah. I have a whole heap of parts for this thing. Tip to but stiffeners are in there. We will be tackling when the smoke clears out a bit. Still shopping around for some shocks and sliders. I have everything else to make this an extremely capable daily unit for her to drive to school.
Old August 24th, 2021, 18:44
NAXJA Forum User

White Girl

Let me know how the 4.5 cloak coils ride. The 3.5 ones I run actually contact the track bar mount frame side...

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk