NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Comanche MJ (1985 - 1992)
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Jeep Comanche MJ (1985 - 1992) Jeep's Cherokee-based compact pickup technical forum.

Old February 12th, 2020, 06:00
NAXJA Forum User

89 Comanche DD Build

Wired up the XJ HO dash to MJ rear harness jumpers tonight. Really simple thanks to the guide on ComancheClub.
Old February 15th, 2020, 19:32
NAXJA Forum User

89 Comanche DD Build

More progress. Spent the day wrenching, and mostly trying to find the right bolts to reassemble things taken apart almost 4 years ago. You know, fun.

I got the dash and interior harness in the truck. Not totally together with the harness inside, I was mostly working under the hood today.

I ended up having to rotate the interior fuse box 90 degrees, made it a bit tight to get the steering column brace bolt in, but it's manageable. The wiring adapters I made seemed to work out well.

The transmission linkage is hooked up now. I ordered wheel cylinders and shoes for the rear to remedy the currently leaking rear wheel cylinders.

I got most of the accessories installed, verified the belt size, got the starter on, installed the rocker arms and pushrods, added the cruise control servo, and EVAP canister.

The WJ booster and master cylinder are installed. I used the brake pedal assembly from the 93 XJ, so I didn't have to modify the booster rod or brake light switch at all. I'll have to run new lines, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Had my little guy supervising the work today, getting a little shop time in.
Old February 24th, 2020, 10:58
NAXJA Forum User

89 Comanche DD Build

I've made very little progress since last week, had some family health issues, but I did manage to get the radiator, condenser, hood and bumper installed. Looks like a truck again. I'm worrying about cosmetic issues later, just trying to get her running for now.

Managed to snap a bolt off in the front pinion yoke so that should be fun.
Old February 24th, 2020, 17:11
NAXJA Forum User

89 Comanche DD Build

Hey man did you ever finish that WJ master and Booster swap? Iíve been having a hell of a time with the prop valve leaking, Iíve ordered a new prop valve to see if that fixes my leaking problems, BTW, I even had a machine shop do flares for my lines, so I donít think itís the flares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 24th, 2020, 17:45
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 89 Comanche DD Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzi24 View Post
Hey man did you ever finish that WJ master and Booster swap? Iíve been having a hell of a time with the prop valve leaking, Iíve ordered a new prop valve to see if that fixes my leaking problems, BTW, I even had a machine shop do flares for my lines, so I donít think itís the flares.

I haven't. It's bolted up but don't have the lines run yet.
Old February 24th, 2020, 20:42
NAXJA Forum User

89 Comanche DD Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy27 View Post
I haven't. It's bolted up but don't have the lines run yet.

Dang, well this is slight squish of the cones in my prop valve seem to be squished enough where no matter how good the flare they wonít seal. I hope you donít end up with this problem, been a hell of a time not having my cherokee to use cause itís hard to find new prop valves, and shipping takes a week.

Old February 25th, 2020, 20:41
NAXJA Forum User

89 Comanche DD Build

Took advantage of an open box deal at ExtremeTerrain and ordered new wheels. I was planning on going with some form of bullet holes, but I came across these and loved them. They look very similar to AEV Pintlers, but at least in my opinion, better.

They're 15x8, 3.7" BS Mammoth Boulder wheels.
Old February 27th, 2020, 15:56
NAXJA Forum User

89 Comanche DD Build

And here they are!
Old March 1st, 2020, 06:15
NAXJA Forum User

89 Comanche DD Build

Test fitting the new wheels.
See that nasty header panel trim? I had some chrome pieces lying around that needed somewhere to live.

I did rear brake shoes, wheel cylinders and hardware so that I can have a parking brake again.

Unfortunately, I had to pull the trans to get to the bottom of this scraping sound while cranking. Ordered a new flexplate but it hasn't come in yet.

Old March 1st, 2020, 06:16
NAXJA Forum User

89 Comanche DD Build

https://youtu.be/ZdIM2AvbNis
Old March 4th, 2020, 17:17
NAXJA Forum User

89 Comanche DD Build

Like a kid at Christmas over here. New tires arrived! Cooper AT3 XLTs in 32x11 50R15. Wheels are Mammoth Boulder 15x8.
Old March 6th, 2020, 21:35
NAXJA Forum User

89 Comanche DD Build

Wheels and tires are on. Adjusted the trackbar finally. I thought about buying new premade battery cables, but figured I'd make my own for a lot less, so I'm running 2ga cable.
I plan on having quite a few circuits that need relays, at least 5 for the low beam, high beam, fogs, low and high fans. I don't want all those relays hanging out on the fenders, so I snagged the fuse box from a Mercury Mountaineer we have at the shop. It's PLENTY of room to expand into. There are 13 relay slots. Can't beat free.
Now I need to relocate the coolant overflow bottle. Any ideas?
Old March 8th, 2020, 11:52
NAXJA Forum User

89 Comanche DD Build

url=https://www.youtube.com/embed/YuPCWiIEr84?feature=oembed][/url][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200308/2e188601a44af65e7f7ba328262c15c2.jpg[/img
Old March 8th, 2020, 11:54
NAXJA Forum User

89 Comanche DD Build

A few more things done.

Heater hoses, radiator hoses, trans cooler lines finished. Filled with coolant and burped.

Most of today was spent with wiring. I finished the battery cables, all 2 AWG including a new run to the new fuse box and a mega fuse for the alternator. I have the relays in the new box wired to be ignition switched and I'll just have to run network cable to my switch panel for relay grounds.

I got my fans wired and the Trinity V2 fan controller wired as well. I'll have fun dialing it in. Currently, I have the center fan wired for low operation, then the other two as a medium, then on high, they all 3 run.

Guys, she moved under her own power today for the first time since being torn down 4 years ago! Kinda tricky still since I haven't finished the brakes. I still have to run new lines from the WJ master to the brake block and replace the front hoses. I used a 95 Dakota rear brake hose to extend the rear.

Old March 15th, 2020, 06:35
NAXJA Forum User

89 Comanche DD Build

Another day of work. Starting to see a little light at the end of the tunnel.

I made new brake lines to run from the WJ master cylinder to the distribution block. It was a lot easier than I expected. Plus, I managed to remember to put the nuts on before I flared the ends!

Then I swapped the stock front brake hose for new extended ones from a 90s Chevy C1500. After pressure bleeding, I have brakes again! Still need to adjust the rear drums a bit, I think.

I trimmed the carpet a bit more, installed the center console, ran the cable for my fan controller, swapped the 2 door XJ driver's bucket seat onto the MJ bucket track. It didn't want to fold, but the cable wasn't broken, turns out the corner zip tie was missing. It folds now. That's my kind of fix.

I got a decent bit of the blue interior parts painted grey with SEM ColorCoat.

Next step is headliner and dyeing the rear carpet panel.