NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Intermountain Chapter > InterMountain Trip Reports
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

InterMountain Trip Reports A place to post up details after an adventure.

Old December 16th, 2013, 21:52
NAXJA Forum User

Providence Canyon Snow Run!

Posted by XJEEPER in the Staging Area thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJEEPER View Post
Providence Canyon is known for it's dynamic trail conditions and this rings true today.

We had 5 rigs on the run today:

Oatmeal (Hans) made the trek clear from Cedar City with his wife and dog, leaving his XJ at home but bringing his capable Toyota.
2Flexed (Paul)
G2WANIT (Aaron, with XJess co-pilot)
DeadeyeJ (Jared) left his ZJ home and brought his Teryx side by side rig, which did quite well.
Myself, with my son Mason.

Some of the group struggled on the grade below the quarry, so we double teamed the hill and got everyone up. There was only about a foot of snow at the quarry, but the temps were just right to limit traction.

One rig explored above to test the trail conditions and resorted to winching up a slippery spot in the "luge run".

We assessed the situation and considering that the trail turned from packed snow to ice with every rig that passed over it and knowing the that there were more off-camber sections ahead, decided to abort going any higher for the sake of not wanting to perform a vehicle recovery today.

We played a bit in the quarry, ate some lunch and then hiked to the nearby waterfall for some pics and to chat with a couple of ice climbers.

It was fun to get out and play in the snow, unfortunately we weren't able to make it up into the basin where even more fun could be had, but it was good to meet new folks and talk of plans for another PC run in the summer.

I'm thinking a Friday-Saturday adventure starting with an overnighter up Prov Cyn, next morning drop into Logan Cyn, then to Franklin Basin, up over the German Dugway to the Paris Ice Cave and then back to Bear Lake. Mid-July would be perfect.
Sorry for the re-post, just feels like we need more trip report threads in the IC!!
Old December 16th, 2013, 21:59
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Providence Canyon Snow Run!

A few snaps from my cell phone:

Old December 22nd, 2013, 20:46
NAXJA Forum User

A bit late, but thanks for posting this. I had a blast and actually didn't freeze my tail off in the open cab with no heat. The Teryx4 made a better running mate to the Jeeps than I'd hoped and I'm looking forward to making more runs together in the future.

Jared
Old December 23rd, 2013, 21:38
NAXJA Member # 13

Name change, eh? Thanks for coming and giving Mason and I some seat time in the Teryx4.
Old December 24th, 2013, 09:17
NAXJA Forum User

Yeah, getting tired of an alias and I think it helps people remember real names much more easily when we get together.

No problem. Seat time, any time!

Jared