NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old June 27th, 2010, 04:30
NAXJA Forum User

Brake caliper sticking, drum brake cable broken?

1999 XJ 4.0 automatic C8.25

My brakes have been squealing while braking, and also at low speeds when not braking. I went to Sears and got a $15 brake check.

Turns out the right caliper is stuck. The tech said there's a rubber piece that pulls the caliper open, and it's not working.

The left drum brake apparently has a broken cable. The tech said it's the cable that pulls the shoe off the drum. I don't know much about drum brakes but I thought they had a simple spring to do that. I think the solution is to replace the cable and possibly the star wheel.

In any case, Sears wants $250 for labor which seems about right for Maui, but $250 for parts, which seems excessive. I think that price is for new loaded calipers + brake pads + machining the rotors + everything needed for the rear.

NAPA sells reman calipers for $25 each, and drum self adjuster kits for $12-13 each, organic brake pads for $50 per wheel, and a huge selection of rotors for about $50 each. That comes out to $270 but with new vented rotors and the benefit of knowing what brands I'm getting.

So here are my questions:
1) Are these all the parts I need to get for an independent mechanic to replace the front calipers, replace the pads, and fix the broken drum cable?
2) What brands are best?
3) Are there any simple bolt in upgrade parts I can use in place of the OEM XJ parts that wouldn't cost much more? For example, can I just buy NAPA's ZJ rotors/calipers/pads and have them fit?

Thanks
Old June 27th, 2010, 04:40
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Brake caliper sticking, drum brake cable broken?

BTW, do organic pads grab better than ceramic? I have ceramic pads right now, and with 31" tires it really does feel like you're grabbing a metal disc with a hard ceramic pad. "Organic" sounds softer and grippier. I could really use more braking power

Last edited by winkosmosis; June 27th, 2010 at 04:47.
Old June 27th, 2010, 07:17
NAXJA Member

My mechanic friend has a saying when it comes to brakes--"what you do on the right -you must do on the left" He dose not want any un-happy come-backs to his shop.
The NAPA store here sells loaded calipers (with pads) as a complete package,semi metalic pads. The rotors are all Chinese made and crap.I went with EBC rotors and Performance Friction pads. Might have used Autozone calipers ?
A caliper/rotor/pad change is something you can do at home .Or in a parking lot, seen many people do it at the parts store.

Wayne
Member#17
NRA Life member, AARP NovaJeepers
96XJ,4.0,AW4,D30/D44,4:10s,Detroit,4.5" lift 33,s
Old June 27th, 2010, 11:13
NAXJA Forum User

Had problems with my calipers. Finally took to my son's mechanic. He will only use wagner or cardone calipers. Haven't had any problems since. We were buying autozone and the seal kept breaking. Currently I think these are Cardone and they work great.
Old June 27th, 2010, 12:05
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
BTW, do organic pads grab better than ceramic? I have ceramic pads right now, and with 31" tires it really does feel like you're grabbing a metal disc with a hard ceramic pad. "Organic" sounds softer and grippier. I could really use more braking power
"Organic" pads don't have asbestos. They wear quicker and have more brake dust.

Ceramic pads also don't havs asbestos. They stop better disapate heat better and last longer.
Old June 27th, 2010, 18:25
NAXJA Forum User

I just realized Sears wants $570 total, not $500. I think it was $320 in parts. That's nuts right?
Old June 28th, 2010, 05:40
NAXJA Forum User

BTW, is the drum self adjuster kit what you need to fix the broken cable?

And what size drums does my 1999 with Chrysler 8.25 have? 10" or 9x2.5"?

https://www.napaonline.com/Search/De...+59999+3999999

https://www.napaonline.com/Search/De...+59999+3999999

Also, how can I know which offset my discs are without removing them and measuring? I read in some thread here that they switched halfway through 1999

Last edited by winkosmosis; June 28th, 2010 at 05:45.
Old June 28th, 2010, 19:53
NAXJA Forum User

I checked one local place for an estimate. They said $800 for new calipers, rotors, pads, and hoses. I was so shocked I didn't even ask what it would cost without the hoses.

$800!!! Why? Because it's an island with few mechanics.
Old June 29th, 2010, 07:05
NAXJA Forum User

800 might be for new calipers instead of reman ones, and its hawaii. 500 for the whole shebang isnt terrible but you can do it for just the parts money and a days worth of work on the weekend

Just do one side at a time and be organized.
Old June 29th, 2010, 18:50
NAXJA Forum User

If I get Sears to replace my calipers, should I have them replace the hoses too? Or is that a separate job? I don't know if replacing calipers requires bleeding the brakes, or if that's only for replacing pistons.
Old June 29th, 2010, 19:11
NAXJA Member

Replacing calipers requires bleeding the brakes, and replacing the hose along with them takes only a little extra time - disconnect the frame end of the hose instead of the caliper end, then install new. Go for it.