NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Jeep CJs and Wranglers > Wrangler YJ, TJ, and LJ (1987 - 2006)
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Wrangler YJ, TJ, and LJ (1987 - 2006) Technical forum for the Wrangler YJ, TJ, and LJ Unlimited.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 5th, 2021, 12:04
You Guys ROCK!

2006 Wrangler TJ Unlimited Rubicon (LJ)

I'm seriously considering a 2006 TJ Rubicon. Have yet to see it, but a reliable friend tells me it's "done right". I see some pretty stiff prices these days online. I did manage a couple days trail time in my buddy's '06 TJ Rubicon 6spd and like it fine. Love the 4:1 transfer case. My first Jeep was a '75 CJ5 I bought brand new but never modded it at all.

I've done a little research on these and have found the 42RLE transmission might be a cause for concern, weak point. Even on a well done TJ I don't want to borrow trouble with a less-than-stout transmission
My guy tells me the 42 was rebuilt to handle the HP/T of a stroker 4.0L, which ended up blowing and was replaced with a new reman 4.0, so the engine is not a concern.

Can you folks advise on what to look for/at when I get around to inspecting this? I'm not a rookie but don't know my Wranglers very well. Yup, I've searched and looked at other TJ/Wrangler forums to see what's up.

Not gonna replace the '99 XJ but add to my stable, so to speak. I'm telling the wife it's for her..

TIA

1999 XJ Sport 4.0L Black

Last edited by NOTNSUV; September 24th, 2021 at 08:56. Reason: Change Title for Accuracy