NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Jeep Street and Performance
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Jeep Street and Performance Do you like to go fast in your Jeep?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #151  
Old July 14th, 2021, 14:54
Skruffy's Avatar
Skruffy Skruffy is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Poway CA
Posts: 210
Supercharged LS3 crammed into an XJ

Karma
I would be happy to help. But I have to ask why you would go through any trouble to keep the aw4? GM transmissions are plentiful and not expensive plus the adapter you need to mate it with your transfer case is readily available. And they fit just fine.
An AW4 is a fine transmission but a 4LX0E or 6LX0E will hold up to the V8 better.

The hard part about gauge integration is getting the wiring harness correct. If you donít have a no shit XJ shop manual for your year or someone has tinkered with your wiring it will be rough.
I had Novak rework the GM harness that came from my doner car and the GM side was a price of cake, the XJ side was much more difficult. Pay close attention to the ground splices on the diagrams or you will end up deleting sensor grounds while you strip it. Or donít strip it at all, that would work too but is ugly if you care about that sort of thing.

Either way man go for it. It is super satisfying to complete a project like this and unless your striker is truly wild you will be blown away by the performance.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old July 15th, 2021, 20:25
KarmaKannon's Avatar
KarmaKannon KarmaKannon is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Utahhhh
Posts: 56
Re: Supercharged LS3 crammed into an XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skruffy View Post
Karma
I would be happy to help. But I have to ask why you would go through any trouble to keep the aw4? GM transmissions are plentiful and not expensive plus the adapter you need to mate it with your transfer case is readily available. And they fit just fine.
An AW4 is a fine transmission but a 4LX0E or 6LX0E will hold up to the V8 better.

The hard part about gauge integration is getting the wiring harness correct. If you donít have a no shit XJ shop manual for your year or someone has tinkered with your wiring it will be rough.
I had Novak rework the GM harness that came from my doner car and the GM side was a price of cake, the XJ side was much more difficult. Pay close attention to the ground splices on the diagrams or you will end up deleting sensor grounds while you strip it. Or donít strip it at all, that would work too but is ugly if you care about that sort of thing.

Either way man go for it. It is super satisfying to complete a project like this and unless your striker is truly wild you will be blown away by the performance.
Thanks for the help so far. I may go with the 4l60e. I'm not sure yet. I was just thinking it would really be something if a guy could re-use everything from the engine back. It would really open up the ls swap idea to people who didn't think they could do it. I put gen 2 raptor coilovers in the front of my tundra... Anything is possible haha.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old July 15th, 2021, 20:40
KarmaKannon's Avatar
KarmaKannon KarmaKannon is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Utahhhh
Posts: 56
Re: Supercharged LS3 crammed into an XJ

Do you have a line on somewhere to get a manual with the correct wiring diagrams? A quick search found this, but I don't know if it's going to be detailed enough.
https://www.emanualonline.com/cars/j...o-413212.html?
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old July 15th, 2021, 21:12
Skruffy's Avatar
Skruffy Skruffy is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Poway CA
Posts: 210
Supercharged LS3 crammed into an XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaKannon View Post
Do you have a line on somewhere to get a manual with the correct wiring diagrams? A quick search found this, but I don't know if it's going to be detailed enough.
https://www.emanualonline.com/cars/j...o-413212.html?

Thatís exactly the thing you need. Paper copies on eBay are always crazy expensive, like $300+ so I bought the digital for $20. It is the full factory service manual and will have every wire in the Jeep from bumper to bumper. Just print the 10 or so pages that you will need.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old July 15th, 2021, 21:20
KarmaKannon's Avatar
KarmaKannon KarmaKannon is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Utahhhh
Posts: 56
Re: Supercharged LS3 crammed into an XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skruffy View Post
Thatís exactly the thing you need. Paper copies on eBay are always crazy expensive, like $300+ so I bought the digital for $20. It is the full factory service manual and will have every wire in the Jeep from bumper to bumper. Just print the 10 or so pages that you will need.
Awesome. Thanks for the suggestion.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old November 3rd, 2021, 12:11
Skruffy's Avatar
Skruffy Skruffy is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Poway CA
Posts: 210
Re: Supercharged LS3 crammed into an XJ

Been a while since I have made any updates. I am finally home from deployment and was able to go to SOCAL Fest in Big Bear. Had a blast and met some new friends.
I towed a 3900lb trailer from San Diego up to Big Bear with Skruffy. If any of you are wondering, it went fine. Traffic was terrible as expected but overall it was successful. The engine did get a little hot on the way up but not too hot. I think if I went when there was less traffic it would have been better since I wouldn't have been forced to go so slowly. I got about 9mpg pulling that trailer, only two less then the WK2 Hemi got on the same trip a few years ago. Power was not at all an issue. I had a 3000lb trailer that I had pulled up to big bear with skruffy when he still had the 4.0 and this was a breeze compared to that. Being able to tow was one of my inspirations for doing the swap in the first place. Coming down was no problem, being able to select the gears and having well performing trailer brakes made it easy peasy.

I ran Hocomb Creek with a few other guys and had a great time. Did manage to smash my front left quarter panel, and the windshield washer fluid reservoir under it.
Skruffy is actually at a shop right now finally getting the A/C lines connected and charged up. Not having AC sucked way way worse then I thought it would.
I couldn't find anybody that is willing to fab up my hood so I will attempt to do it myself.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old November 9th, 2021, 13:38
Skruffy's Avatar
Skruffy Skruffy is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Poway CA
Posts: 210
Supercharged LS3 crammed into an XJ

AC is working!!
Super happy about that.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old November 9th, 2021, 14:11
jeep ride's Avatar
jeep ride jeep ride is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 99 miles from nowhere
Posts: 778
Re: Supercharged LS3 crammed into an XJ

That's Cool ��
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old November 9th, 2021, 19:12
Anak's Avatar
Anak Anak is offline
Stranger
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: In the digital ghetto
Posts: 4,277
Re: Supercharged LS3 crammed into an XJ

Pics are needed!!

But I still appreciate hearing you are making progress.
__________________
Project "Scope Creep": 1996 4wd 4.0L, AX15

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old November 10th, 2021, 03:56
SlowXj SlowXj is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: East Tn
Posts: 487
Supercharged LS3 crammed into an XJ

Congrats on such An awesome build. It must be super rewarding every time you bump the key and hear that sound!

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old November 10th, 2021, 17:07
Skruffy's Avatar
Skruffy Skruffy is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Poway CA
Posts: 210
Supercharged LS3 crammed into an XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep ride View Post
That's Cool ��

I donít know what you mean.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old November 10th, 2021, 18:26
jeep ride's Avatar
jeep ride jeep ride is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 99 miles from nowhere
Posts: 778
Re: Supercharged LS3 crammed into an XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skruffy View Post
I donít know what you mean.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have air-conditioning was what I was getting at.
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old November 10th, 2021, 19:26
Skruffy's Avatar
Skruffy Skruffy is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Poway CA
Posts: 210
Supercharged LS3 crammed into an XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep ride View Post
You have air-conditioning was what I was getting at.

Oh! I should have been able to suss that out. Having AC again is a real game changer.
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old November 10th, 2021, 19:27
Skruffy's Avatar
Skruffy Skruffy is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Poway CA
Posts: 210
Supercharged LS3 crammed into an XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowXj View Post
Congrats on such An awesome build. It must be super rewarding every time you bump the key and hear that sound!

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

I rented a camaro SS about 8 years ago and loved the way it snorted when it started. Canít help but smile every time my Cherokee starts up now too.
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old November 10th, 2021, 19:28
Skruffy's Avatar
Skruffy Skruffy is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Poway CA
Posts: 210
Supercharged LS3 crammed into an XJ

Headed out of town for a few days, but intend on getting started with the hood late next week.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Supercharged LS3 crammed into an XJ Skruffy Modified Tech Discussion 15 July 6th, 2020 08:26
Supercharged xj Rockinkonz Modified Tech Discussion 25 December 12th, 2015 07:48
supercharged run 1/8 or 1/4 mile snowjeep Jeep Street and Performance 1 August 27th, 2007 19:35
supercharged 4.5 liter Justpunchit Modified Tech Discussion 9 April 16th, 2007 20:17
supercharged 4.0l? 53guy Modified Tech Discussion 2 March 18th, 2005 01:35


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
NAXJA and NAXJA logo's Copyright NAXJA. All content/images Copyright NAXJA 1999-2014