• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

search for the "good" 258 crank

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
ok, does any one know how to to tell the difference between the older 258s that have the 12 counterweight cranks that most ppl like to use for strokers? I'm going out to look at an old CJ today, which has a spare 258, and I'm trying to see weather they have the crank I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated. The crank is the 1972-80 one.

Either crank will work. The heavy crank is good for a manual tranny, but I would probably go with the lighter crank on an auto. The extra rotating mass isn't needed on an auto.

Thanks for telling me that, I'll just see which of the junk yard cranks is the best. Does any one have any advice for me on having cranks turned down. I'd just like to know what I'm in for before I open a can of worms. I'm kind of far away from machine shops, so I'd just like to know what I'm getting into.

Turning the crank journals is the same as for any overhaul. Actually if they aren't worn too bad, you can sometimes get away without turning them at all. A micrometer is needed to tell. Some people go overboard and actually have the journals offset ground to get a few thousandths more stroke. Personally, unless you are in competition, I can't see that it is worth it.

thanks for the info old man, would you have any idea what the proper clearances are? A friend of mine might have a micrometer, and if not I could probably buy one. I'm going to check the engine that's not in the car first. That will probably be some time next week.

Back