• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loud Pop noise

jakeWI

NAXJA Forum User
First off, my setup:

1996 XJ with 6.5" RC long arm kit including track bar. Durango steering box, JCR UTK, 33x10.5 KM2's.

I have been noticing a loud popping noise mainly if not exclusively while I am turning. Usually while I am turning sharp at a speed or real slow turning. I have been trying to figure it out and it just alludes me. I first thought it was my steering box brace. Thought it may be loose. Tightened it then even took it off completely and still the noise. I try to watch for habits in the jeep while someone is turning it for me. It almost looks like the track bar bushing on the axle side might be shot. The tie rods are probably going but don't look like the jump or POP when turning.

So I turn to you guys for help in maybe some pointers or guesses of what could be making a popping noise.

i just found my pop noise and it was the track bar mount on the axle end the bolt was slopping around in the hole. have someone turn the steering back and forth and watch the bolt and see if it is moving side to side. if you think the bushing is shot they are cheap to replace if it uses the stock size.

Most of the time (on OE) its slop. Its probably your track bar. Check everything though. You wont see your control arms move with it parked and moving the steering side to side. Look real close for cracks. Upper CA body mounts are a good place to start.

Look at your tie rod on the passenger side. I'm running the 6.5" short arm with drop brackets and have the same pop. The y-link on my tie rod hits the bottom of the sway bar connector.

Thanks guys. I know it something I can look for. It just helps to hear things to randomly look for since I am struggling looking for it anyway. I have to wait for it to be light again tomorrow. I am thinking it may be the track bar, and I am also hoping it is just that so I can get it resolved.

I had the same thing happen a few years ago... u-joints.

The needle bearings had basically turned to dust so the caps would make a terrible popping noise when turning sharp.

Check ball joints, u-joints, trackbar, tie rods, and RC JOINTS. I've been through so many long arm joints that I lost count. When they get really bad they clunk like mad when turning or hitting bumps. Take a pry bar and see if you can pray them forward. You will know if they are bad.

Have you checked the bolts on the Trac bar bracket on the frame side, Jake? I know sometimes those can work loose and cause a pop.

Thanks guys. I have checked a lot of it. So far the best culprit is the track bar. It is moving around. But while I am under there I am going to give everything a look through. I did check the U-Joints. Glad it wasn't them because I just replaced them all back in November and wasn't DD-ing it until January.

My 93's doing almost the same thing. While turning the steering wheel left or right you get a loud pop from the passenger side front (most of the time). And sometimes if you hit a bump. I've checked the ball joints and they seem ok. What could it be?

I've got a bad pop on my driver side, almost feels like it is right under my feet. Had my wife turn the wheel, and my Frame side trackbar bracket is moving around. I've even got a track-bar bracket brace on it. I'll probably take it all apart and re-torque everything down.

Recheck the mounting bolts on your track bar.

Common culprits are:

Upper not tight enough and wallowing out the hole in the bracket.

Lower not tight enough to squeeze the bushing between the brackets. This bolt must be torqued to spec to prevent the bushing from walking around the wallowing out the bracket.

Symptoms for both are "popping noise" when making a turn in a parking lot or low speed and a "dead spot" at steering center at high speeds.

-Ron

Back