• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a kill switch.

coldoath

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm taking the doors off my jeep this weekend and for peace of mind I'd really like a switch I can flip that will kill something in the ignition process i.e. starter, fuel pump, etc. I've read several post where they use the cigarette lighter to operate as the switch. I thought that was pretty cool, but I'm curious as to what would be the easiest way to tap into some wire that would keep it from starting.

Somebody in one of the other 'kill swith' threads had mentioned that there was a grounding wire in the back by the spare tire that grounds out all the electrical in the back half, i.e. fuel pump. Would I be able to just run a switch from there to the front? Looking for an easy way out tbh. Just don't want my jeep stolen!

Thanks in advance for the help!

ORO makes a slick little kit, Automatic Disable/Enable System (ADE-II).

It uses a magnetic switch wired into the ignition, injectors, fuel pump and automatic shut down relay.

Hide the switch behind a plastic panel on the dash or console or a pilar. Turn the key and no start, pass the provided magnet over the magnetic switch and all the dash idiot lights and guages come on, now the vehicle will start. You can keep the magnet on a screw head for storage with a spare stuck to the seat frame, just in case.

Remember there will be no visual evidence of where the switch is.

My buddy has this on his TJ and it works good.

Jerry H

Easy enough to cut & splice a switch into the auto-shutdown relay feed under the dash. That'll kill the fuel pump, ignition, and ECU.

Good solution... However, according to the OP's profile, he has a '98. The ASD relay is located in the Power Control Center under the hood, on the right side of the rig... Follow the relay map under the box cover, to identify the ASD relay...

Good solution... However, according to the OP's profile, he has a '98. The ASD relay is located in the Power Control Center under the hood, on the right side of the rig... Follow the relay map under the box cover, to identify the ASD relay...
correct... there are a few ways you can install the kill switch. On a 99 (and probably a 98, I just don't have my 98 FSM handy at the moment) the wire from the ECU to the PDC that grounds the coil on the ASD relay is dark blue with a yellow stripe, you can interrupt this to disable the ASD relay. Can also install the switch in the dark blue / white wire that feeds power to the ASD relay and ECU via fuse 11 in the junction block. It's a 20 amp fuse, so you need a 20 amp switch or a small switch controlling a relay capable of switching 20 amps.

Uh, right. That's where it is on my '94 as well.

There's a wire under the dash that controls it though, coming from the ignition switch.

From what I remember, someone tapped into the fuel pump power wire that runs under the lower trim on the driver's side. They wired in a switch and put it real low on the B-pillar where it's completely hidden.

correct... there are a few ways you can install the kill switch. On a 99 (and probably a 98, I just don't have my 98 FSM handy at the moment) the wire from the ECU to the PDC that grounds the coil on the ASD relay is dark blue with a yellow stripe, you can interrupt this to disable the ASD relay. Can also install the switch in the dark blue / white wire that feeds power to the ASD relay and ECU via fuse 11 in the junction block. It's a 20 amp fuse, so you need a 20 amp switch or a small switch controlling a relay capable of switching 20 amps.

So I can just interrupt this wire going to the fuse box with a 20 amp switch? I admit I am very non electrical savvy, border line retarded I would say. I did find the ASD relay under the hood.

Last edited:
yup, just find that wire, buy a switch that'll handle 20 amps, cut the wire and install the switch in it. When you turn the switch off, everything downstream of the ASD relay as well as the ECU will lose power.

Where is this wire under the dash? Does is run into the ignition? Is it a dark blue/white wire?

From what I remember, someone tapped into the fuel pump power wire that runs under the lower trim on the driver's side. They wired in a switch and put it real low on the B-pillar where it's completely hidden.

That's what I had done on both my 96 and both my 97s. The wire is green with a white stripe and I simply interupted it with a toggle switch then hid the switch. There are two wires in there that are green with a white stripe...let me search to see which one is which (one is fatter)

EDIT:
Eh I couldn't find it in my posts. I did mention in another thread that you could go back to where the wires go into the fuelpump and try to judge the diameter from that one

Last edited:
I have a kill switch installed through my cigarette lighter. The lighter has to be pushed in in order to start the jeep. Lighter is non-operational and does not get hot...

Back