• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Longer wheel studs for ZJ disc on D44 swap

stoneattic

NAXJA Forum User
I did the ZJ disc on D44 swap a couple of years ago and used ZJ wheel studs to get a little more length/thread engagement with the lug nuts.

So I'm putting a set of wheel spacers on last night (I know, I know, wheel spacers, the horror, the horror) and I'm not all that happy with the thread engagement. Since the lug nuts I had on previously were closed ended I never really saw exactly now much engagement there was. With the wheel spacers the inner lug nuts are open ended. Plus the spacers ar thicker at the hub than the wheels, so with the wheels only I did have more engagement. The studs only look to be engaged about a 1/2 inch. I know the rule of thumb with thread engagement is that you want at least the stud diameter and I'm probably right about there but for piece of mind I'd like more.

Has anyone used other studs than the ZJ ones on this swap? I was hoping someone has a part number or other vehicle to reference so I don't have to pull a stud and go to the parts store with a set of calipers and start measuring every stud in the place.

thanks!

When I was doing the Crown Vic brakes on my D44 I found this thread:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31574&highlight=cougar+stud

The 81-83 Mercury Cougar studs worked well for my application, adding just enough length plus the little 'nipple' to make starting the lugnuts easier. The biggest problem is you may have to stop at multiple auto parts stores before you get enough for the whole axle!

I've also heard that studs from a ZJ with disks works, but I haven't confirmed that.

What size are your spacers? I'm running 1.25" with the Cougar studs, and they're just barely clear the wheels. Anything less and you'll have to trim that 'nipple' off a little. Studs are only a dollar or two a piece, so you could probably just pick up a ZJ disk and Cougar stud and 'try them out'.

I used studs for a 1995 1/2 ton Dodge Ram. They are plenty long, even without counting the little tit that helps start the lugnuts. They were a stock item at Advance, around $3 each, I believe.

Thanks guys. I went to NAPA and checked both of those out. Although they were longer than the ZJ studs I had, there wasn't much more thread engagement. I looked through their book and found these:

http://tinyurl.com/39jtfr

They give me full lug nut engagement. These are open ended nuts and the threads go all the way through. I have the XJ sport wheels (the ones with 10 holes) and there in a cavity where they protrude to there's no problem with the extra length. Of course they only had 6 in stock and I have to wait until Monday for the rest, but I did one wheel and I'm really happy. I think I'm going to get longer ones for the front too and I think either of the ones you guys suggested would be great there.

Back