• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disk brake conversion

Wil Badger

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have a question for all those that have put a disk conversion on the back or have done a 44 up front.

have any of you guys changed your master cylinder to something bigger?i just can't see the stock one moving enough fluid .i mean i would think that the bore and stroke of the stock one would be to small.i have a 44 front with dual pistons and a 60 in the back with GM single piston .i have modded the proportioning valve to get ful pressure to the rear disks and have been looking for a master cylinder to swap in.any clues anybody?

What year cherokee do you have? If I remember corectly the latter ones have a larger brake booster that might work. Other then that I have no idea.

ya the jeep is a 95 sorry my mistake.i look at the 79 E350 and the depth at which the rod would contact the piston was to far .i measured the stock jeep one at a depth off the mounting flange at around a half inch.the ford was one inch..

i will do a search for what you said and see what comes up thanks.

Wil Badger said:
ya the jeep is a 95 sorry my mistake.i look at the 79 E350 and the depth at which the rod would contact the piston was to far .i measured the stock jeep one at a depth off the mounting flange at around a half inch.the ford was one inch..

i will do a search for what you said and see what comes up thanks.

There is a range of years you need for this to work, but I can't remember what it is off hand. Alot of people have done this swap though, pretty straight forward.......:lecture:

Gil BullyKatz said:
search for ford E 350 MC

i looked into that, but found that to work well with 3/4 ton and 1 ton brakes, but with my 1/2ton brakes (f-150 d44 and ford 9" stock brakes front and rear) my MC has no trouble keeping up - and i got into a heated debate with someone about wheel cylenders and how much valume they take compared to calipers - and it turns out that cylenders take quite a bit more volume to move than calipers...

the issue with the e-350 MC is that it moves too much fluid and you get the frim pedal right away, but you loose the mechanical advantage in doing that...
there were some debates on POR about this, that a simple search should show you...

Back