• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ Limited - no brake lights

jbeintherockies

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I was informed this morning that my brake lights are not working (including the center-high brake light).

The hazards work, the blinkers work, the reverse lights work and the tail lights work when I turn on the parking lights and headlights.

I will start to check fuses and use a volt meter to see what the issue is. I have read there is a switch above the brake pedal (how old school!). But, I have been at work all day (just got home) and haven't had a chance to climb under there to see if there is a contact issue, or to check the voltage on the switch, check fuses, etc.

Any suggestions? Anyone else have issues with brake lights not working? How did you fix it?

I'll do some google searches and see what I can find on here.

Thank you in advance.

I figured it out. The issue was caused by the brake light switch going bad. Per the FRM, I continuity tested the switch and pins 5 and 6 were bad.

I replaced the switch and now my brakes work; except the center-high light. That one still doesn't work. I'll have to take it apart to see what the issue is.

Back