• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93XJ starts, then dies seconds later

EnderAZ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

My son's XJ just started having a new issue where it starts, then seconds later it dies. We had disconnected and re-connected the battery to see if that helped, but it didn't. If he floors the pedal it stays running, but as soon as he returns it to idle it dies. The only code that's coming up is 12, but I'm pretty sure that's from when I disconnected the battery. Any ideas what this may be?

Sounds a lot like a bad fuel pump ballast resistor. The ballast resistor is bypassed during cranking and at WOT.

Halfway down the inside of the drivers' side fender well. a two-inch long ceramic block. Jump the two wires together, bypass the resistor and see if that doesn't cure the issue.

Don't know if the 93 still has the resistor, pretty sure it does, they discontinued it sometime near the mid-nineties.

You can bypass the resistor and dump it - it's only there to make the pump run quieter because some customers complained back in the day.

When the one in my '92 started falling apart I jumpered the two wires together and threw it away. That was something like 10-15 years ago.

Back