• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Linking the rear of a MJ

94XJ2door5speed

NAXJA Forum User
A buddy of mine just purchased an 88' MJ and he is going to do either an 6.5" or 8" lift and is planning on Y-linking the front and using ZJ coild in the rear but is undecided on what link setup he should do in the rear. He is looking for a really good general purpose rig. He wants to rock crawl, mud, drive through anything and still go down the highway. He has 44's he is putting in with the disc brake conversion, rollcage, rocksliders, bumpers, and fuel cell for sure. He is trying to figure out how to mate his Dana 18 and 231 together but his main question is the best link setup.

Linking it huh?
Hmmmm....do a search on link calculator and it will give you information on angles and lengths...but it aint easy.
Maybe I should stay out of this one...

Not worried about the calculations at least not yet. He is just looking for opinions on what is "best" or "ideal"

94XJ2door5speed said:
Not worried about the calculations at least not yet. He is just looking for opinions on what is "best" or "ideal"

Okay....WHAT THE HELL IS THAT supposed to mean?

Are you (is he) asking if linking is ideal or best?
Or are you asking what is the best way to link it?
Linking is difficult and not something an average guy should be trying without
someone there to guide and direct.
(listen to me, like I have ever done it before....no, I have not.)

MiNi Beast said:

Hey i dont know much about an MJ only XJ's.( I was so confused to see a unibody under the cab and a frame under the bed) I wanted your guy's opinion on what link systems you used and worked out for you in the rear. I can do parallel and triangulated four links i have done them on mini trucks before, I was more leaning towards convincing him to doing a y-link on the rear aswell as the front like the RE setup for the TJ.

94XJ2door5speed said:
Hey i dont know much about an MJ only XJ's.( I was so confused to see a unibody under the cab and a frame under the bed) I wanted your guy's opinion on what link systems you used and worked out for you in the rear. I can do parallel and triangulated four links i have done them on mini trucks before, I was more leaning towards convincing him to doing a y-link on the rear aswell as the front like the RE setup for the TJ.

Try this....:roflmao:
elpiticalsetup.jpg

elpiticalsetup2.jpg

Other than being welded to sheet metal, that's not that far off if you ask me. Search for bigwoody and you'll find a few threads about his double triangulated 4link with 1/4 elliptic on an MJ. Led Lancos has a really cool MJ as well that's been linked in the rear with an upper triangulated setup with parrallel lowers using air shocks I believe. Another guy on here did an upper wishbone (with one straight link and one angled so as to clear the stock fuel tank) and parrallel lowers using coils. I'm doing a copy of bigwoody's setup right now. In the front I'll be using a 3 link long arm setup if I can fit it in with the 5.3 V8. In my opinion that setup is much preferable to the Y link setup you are suggesting. Jeff

94XJ2door5speed said:

There is no 'best' or 'ideal'.

If you're not going to use the calculator, just weld some metal under the rig where it fits and call it good. You can 'guess' at this stuff all you want, and maybe end up with something that works, or it might hop and flex steer all over the place.

Or, you can do some research, figure out what the different variables are and how to change them, and wind up with something that actually works fairly well the first time out.

Furthermore, if you're not going to bother to do some real planning, figuring, and tuning, there's no good reason to link it in the first place. "more flex" is a dumb reason. Being able to optimize it for your center of gravity, sprung weight, tire size, terrain, driving style, and personal preference are the real advantages, and unless you know what you're looking for and how to get it, it's a waste of time IMO.

Here's how mine ended up:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630589&highlight=suspension+design

all.jpg

It might work for yours, it might not. You pretty much have to change everything to fit your own rig. But it's something to start with anyway. :D

That is all Greek to me!
But it sounds as though you have done links before. If I should ever go the route of linking the rear, I'd be camping out near someone who has done it all before!

I wonder if Capt. Ron has any spare room around his place?

:D

Why link it? I get 14" of travel out of my Stanley stock replacement springs. If my shocks were longer 16" is the actual travel bumped and extended also straight up and down.

I personally like this one.

IMG_1889.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

It all depends on your needs but you won't gain any travel or flex over stock leafs using ZJ springs. They are to short...

Just go SOA in the rear and 3 link the front.

If I change spring designs front and rear coilovers would be the only way to go.

IMO rear 3 link or 4 links both work great if they are set up properly. It's all about the setup...

Last edited:
Back