• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building an "Adventure XJ"

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
Lets say you wanted to build an XJ for all around backcountry travel and exploration. What modifications and equipment would you consider absolute necessities and what would you consider just extra "stuff".

Not everyone will have the same idea of what a solid backcountry vehicle will consist of. For example, some may pass on lift and lockers in favor of a first aid kit lacking only lifeflight capabilities. Lets hear your personal preferences, how would you build YOUR perfect Cherokee.

Feel free to explain your opinions on gear and modifications to suit your personal preference of outdoor activity involving your Jeep Cherokee.

:repair:

On board air. selectable lockers
spare axle shafts front and rear and corresponding u joint spares
roof rack to just throw more stuff up on.
lots more im just tired

thought about taking out the front passenger seat and creating a platform deck to match the rear... just more space for you and your gear. or in the same mindset removing the rear seats to create a bunk area...

CROSBIKE said:
On board air. selectable lockers
spare axle shafts front and rear and corresponding u joint spares
roof rack to just throw more stuff up on.

3.5" RE lift w/ 31x10.50s (easiest to maintain), high quality 2 person tent, high quality sleeping bag, camp stove, chainsaw, good first aid kit, good tool set, inverter, RV style plug in fridge, water purification system, cookware, ammunition storage, shovel, axe, high lift jack. Enough to spend weeks in the back country with.

Onboard hot water shower would be a must.

If I didn't have kids I thought the perfect vehicle for long haul expeditions would be a Commanche with D44s front and rear, Selectable lockers front and rear, a rooftop tent just above the pickup bed. Or one of these...

http://adventuretrailers.com/trucks.html

Then you wouldn't have a need for a trailer. Also it would have to have two spares.

IntrepidXJ said:
a wench, for sure.

Fixed. :laugh3:

Clever storage is a must. For expidition purposes I'd drag my trailer along with so I could keep the cargo area relitively empty for those late night I just gotta sleep moment when I gotta curl up in the back.

DrMoab said:
Onboard hot water shower would be a must.

If I didn't have kids I thought the perfect vehicle for long haul expeditions would be a Commanche with D44s front and rear, Selectable lockers front and rear, a rooftop tent just above the pickup bed. Or one of these...

http://adventuretrailers.com/trucks.html

Then you wouldn't have a need for a trailer. Also it would have to have two spares.

I did some researching on an onboard shower setup, mostly at Pirate. Seems to me they can be a real PITA to fab up a heat exchanger with variable temp control that could be adustable once in a shower shelter etc. I opted for a Zodi unit and have been extremely happy with it. Look around and you can get a better deal via ebay, Wal-Mart etc vs their advertised online prices. John at Zodi routinely sells what he calls show demo units (unused) cheaper on ebay himself.

And i agree on the MJ! Mario at Adventure Trailer has a nice setup MJ and his trailer... killer combo.

GSequoia said:
A sun shower is good enough for me. If you have a roof rack just pop it up there for the day.

Granted it'd kinda suck on cloudy days ;)

BRRRR... 90% of my camping has been in temps where it never exceeds mid 70's.

:laugh:

HPIM1867.jpg

I would do a 3 inch lift 30 or 31's and front no slip. a winch and good strap etc. I had this setup and it worked extreamly well and got me into places we use to have to hike to even thought the road went there. Its mild enough to even be a daily driver

I am thinking about taking the rear seat out of mine and adding a platfor so I store some extra stuff like tent and axle shafts etc..

I would add a HAM radio to your lists, the test is EASY and much better then a CB. I have communications from almost anywhere now..

Chris

Sting25 said:
I would add a HAM radio to your lists, the test is EASY and much better then a CB. I have communications from almost anywhere now..

Agreed, but with a slight difference: have both the CB and ham rig.

Most ham radios won't let you get to the 11-metre band that CB operates in, but there are a lot of people out there with only CB radios. Given that you may not always be able to hit a repeater or other ham user, the CB's at least another option - and since most folks on the trails are still using CB, it makes sense to at least have it as a backup.

John B said:
Lets say you wanted to build an XJ for all around backcountry travel and exploration. What modifications and equipment would you consider absolute necessities and what would you consider just extra "stuff".

Not everyone will have the same idea of what a solid backcountry vehicle will consist of. For example, some may pass on lift and lockers in favor of a first aid kit lacking only lifeflight capabilities. Lets hear your personal preferences, how would you build YOUR perfect Cherokee.

Feel free to explain your opinions on gear and modifications to suit your personal preference of outdoor activity involving your Jeep Cherokee.

:repair:

A lot of your build depends on where and how long your adventures will be. For example a trip to the local NF for the weekend is a lot different then a month long expedition down to Baja.

Either way your rig should be built to be one, reliable, two, safe and three, easy to repair with easily available parts (or carry spares for those one off parts you may have on your rig).

More later...off to do some schuplattling.

Back