• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Question on transfer cases. . . .

ZomBrady

Chubby Chaser Extraordinaire
NAXJA Member
Alright, my transfer case shift in this pattern. 2HI, neutral, 4HI part time, 4LO part time. When ever I shift it into any 4wd setting a dash light comes on saying part time. I think this a NP231, but I am not sure.

The XJ is a 1996, 4.0L, Sport. Can any of you please confirm or rebuke my thinking my tcase is a NP231?

Yes, yes I did a search. I just want the opinion of a professional or two.

Thanks

shortxjdoug said:
top to bottom on lever: 2hi-4hi-n-4lo = np231

2hi-4part-4full-n-4lo= np242

Thanks, I got neutral and 4Hi backwards. Really appreciate the confirmation.

If you look underneith, on the rear of the T-case will be a round tin plate a couple inches in diameter, if that, just above the drain hole if I remember. It should have stamped NP231 or NV231, along with the low range ratio.

If you have not been to the Jeep webpage they have an animated video that explains both of the Cherokee 4x4 systems. JEEP 4x4 systems . Both the Cherokee and the Liberty have the same 4x4 system and control levers. The first line of the label has the T-case model number.
standard.jpg

Back